Battery 'fur' help needed

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise on what's happened to my battery in this picture!? 

It had also covered a metal buckle used in strapping the batteries down. 

Checked electrolyte levels and none lost,  each cell is the same- above the plates. 

DSC_0876.JPG

It generally means that your batteries have been 'overcharging' and 'gassing' the acidic gas (fumes of sulphuric acid) has attacked the copper in the terminals, or the lead in the battery 'post' and caused the formation of the 'powder'.

If it has attacked the lead then it will have formed Lead-Sulphate

If it has attacked the copper then it will have formed copper-sulphate

If it keeps going for long enough it will 'eat' thru' the terminals, or the 'posts'

Edit to add - 'what to do info from the interweb.

To clean lead sulphate or copper sulphate from terminals, first disconnect terminals from battery. Make sure, you are wearing gloves as these chemicals can affect the skin. Now, wash terminals with clean water. If rust washes away, then no more hassles. Otherwise, wash them with the solution of any of these bases caustic soda, washing soda or baking soda made by dissolving base into water. Simply dipping battery terminals or clamps for few minutes into solutions of these bases also works. After cleaning with base solution, wash terminals again with clean water to clear away the remnants of base.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Terminals are fine, just the strap buckles, having a brief thought at what I was looking at I believed it might be a chemical reaction between the aluminum buckles and the recent equalizing charge of the batteries which would have produced excess hydrogen in the area, so I think nothing to panic over- just science happening! 

12 minutes ago, Punk Stig said:

Terminals are fine

Your first picture appears to show considerable corrosion on the positive terminal to such an extent it looks as if it is partly 'eaten away'

Wash it off and see if there is actually any damage - remember that if the copper is reduced you will have less current carrying capacity and that could lead to problems when you don't want them.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Your first picture appears to show considerable corrosion on the positive terminal to such an extent it looks as if it is partly 'eaten away'

Wash it off and see if there is actually any damage - remember that if the copper is reduced you will have less current carrying capacity and that could lead to problems when you don't want them.

Yes, I appreciate that, when I said fine I failed to mention I'd cleaned it off, and, thankfully yes, all fine, no corrosion, thanks for the help, my initial worry was seeing all the fur around the crack of the battery casing thinking this substance had leaked out of there, but it hasn't! 

42 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You have a few too many connections to the positive terminal, it's best to really keep to only a few and use a bus bar for others.  The biggest cable should also be the closest to the terminal.

Yes, I noticed that the nut isn't into safety. 

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Out of curiosity what batteries are they? They appear to be the colour of Trojans but without the reinforcing ribs.

They are Trojan T105's

Appreciate and understand comments about too many wires - negative is attached by bus bar, yet to do the positive side! 

On 26/03/2017 at 22:15, Punk Stig said:

They are Trojan T105's

Appreciate and understand comments about too many wires - negative is attached by bus bar, yet to do the positive side! 

Ok thanks. I wonder why Trojans are red when ordinary batteries are black...

I guess you are still saving up for a second bus bar. They seem weirdly expensive!

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I guess you are still saving up for a second bus bar. They seem weirdly expensive!

Its so people like you and me with copy trojans know our place:lol:

Edited by peterboat

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Trojans are not red, that is for the elite class of Rolls :D

On 27/03/2017 at 09:37, Robbo said:

Trojans are not red, that is for the elite class of Rolls :D

But the batteries in the OP are red, and the OP says they are Trojans...

Not sure I've ever seen a real live Trojan. I certainly wouldn't know how to address it. 'Sir', I guess would suffice?

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not sure I've ever seen a real live Trojan. I certainly wouldn't know how to address it. 'Sir', I guess would suffice?

They are Trojans, that is the colour but I wouldn't say it was as red, they are kinda of Purple with a hint of brown.  Rolls are bright red.

edit to add, Trojan say they are Maroon in there tech specs.

Edited by Robbo

16 minutes ago, Robbo said:

... they are kinda of Purple with a hint of brown.

Pretty much describes the colour of my old maroon school uniform...

17 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Trojan say they are Maroon

That's that settled then ;)

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Atroy there" would be one way of addressing them :D

On 26/03/2017 at 22:15, Punk Stig said:

They are Trojan T105's

When you bus bar up, get some heat shrink (pref. lined with adhesive) as well to finish off the terminal ends.

You can get a spray coating (its looks yellow and waxy) specifically for battery terminals to prevent this sort of corrosion.

Spray over all terminals, busbars and associated metal parts to keep everything nice and clean.

You can also get mats to sit the batteries on with similar properties.