Water under floor

Featured Posts

I recently noticed a damp patch on my carpet. On further examination ie. ripping up the carpet, removing the pipe boxing and boring a hole in the plywood flooring and bailing out some 20 gallons of water. I've also drained all the water system. It seems to have done the trick. All I can think of is that we had a pretty bad chimney leak a couple of years ago could so much water ingress be responsible. Have any other members had a similar problem.

2 hours ago, Kapt. Kipper. said:

I recently noticed a damp patch on my carpet. On further examination ie. ripping up the carpet, removing the pipe boxing and boring a hole in the plywood flooring and bailing out some 20 gallons of water. I've also drained all the water system. It seems to have done the trick. All I can think of is that we had a pretty bad chimney leak a couple of years ago could so much water ingress be responsible. Have any other members had a similar problem.

Could be leaking pipe joints, windows, water tank, condensation, water pump.................................and yes most of us at some time get water under the deck boards/in the bilge.

Which is why many/most narrowboats have a trap in the floor at the back. Possibly under ladder type rear steps or in a cupboard. If you do not have one then I would fit one.

It is likely to take several days/weeks for all the water in the bilge to find it sway to the back.

As Tony points out, our cabin bilge is accessed under the back steps and due to the slope of he hull , any water naturally collects there. I have leaky windows so have to pump out water occasionaly.

I've found it, (the plug hole) never knew there was one, thanks folks. Got myself a cheapish drill pump which cleared the remainder in about half an hour. I suppose for the amount of water (20buckets) it could have been there for years, it was orange. Cheers.

I just put this in a different post. i used baby pampers to soak up inaccessible water under my engine. 4 out of a £3 packet of 10 soaked up one heck of a lot of water. It was a handy tip from my boating neighbour clive. 

Beware of using disposable nappies. If left wet for any length of time they tend to fall apart and dump a pile if gel granules in the bilge. I would not leave any down for more than just overnight. Even they you may find that you have to be a bit gentle with them. I have had two fail like this in the engine tray.

• Greenie 1