Motorbike Engine - Direction of Rotation...

Featured Posts

Hi,

Further to other thread regarding the venerable Stretton Queen (Freeman 22) with her decrepit Ford Angia (Watermota) engine...

I've been pondering a water-cooled motorbike engine as a budget 'solution'. The chinese ones are appealingly cheap !

Looking at motorbikes today, they all seem to have the chain on the rider's LHS, meaning that the sprocket at the engine must be turning ACW, viewed from the rider's LHS. The Anglia engine (I think) would turn CW if viewed from the crank pulley end, or ACW if viewed from the flywheel end...

I'm thinking this means that if the motorbike engine were placed so that its sprocket were facing the Freeman's gearbox, and (somehow) mated thereto, then the direction would be correct.

Or is that a load of Dingo's Kidneys ?

Anyone wanting the old engine is welcome to come to Gayton Marina and remove it !

Thanks John :)

I had a 197cc James Captain, fitted with a single cylinder AMC 2 stroke engine.

The ignition timing was never 100%. Sometimes while waiting at traffic lights the engine would make an extra 'bang' and when I let the clutch out I'd find myself trying to go backwards!

:wacko:

24 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

The ignition timing was never 100%. Sometimes while waiting at traffic lights the engine would make an extra 'bang' and when I let the clutch out I'd find myself trying to go backwards!

I had a couple of workmates many years ago who had an old generator running backwards because they had the wrong crank handle. Unsurprising inefficient.

3 minutes ago, stegra said:

I had a couple of workmates many years ago who had an old generator running backwards because they had the wrong crank handle. Unsurprising inefficient.

Naturally, it would have been sucking all of the electrickery out of their appliances.

19 hours ago, stegra said:

A similar thing happened to me on my TR500 Suzuki in the paddock at Brands. After checking and re-checking ignition timing i made sure that i always put it in gear and pushed so that the engine was in forward motion, but i forgot to mention this to the new owner when i sold it and the poor sod who always pulled it back over top dead centre went in reverse on the start at Snetterton.

An old workmate had the little Honda sports car (quite rare, looked a tiny bit like an mgb) but engine was dead and expensive to rebuild so he found that a Morris Minor A series would mate with the gearbox without too much effort.  Net result was 4 gears going backwards and only one going forwards.

...he then realised he could flip the crown wheel in the diff to make it go forwards again so major embarrassment avoided.

...................Dave

• Greenie 1

On 25/03/2017 at 18:25, Victor Vectis said:

I thought that the James Captain had a Villiers 8E 197cc engine. The same engine I had in a Mk C Bond minicar.  Never heard of a James fitted with an AMC engine.

I think mine was a 1964 model. IIRC earler models had the Villiers 9E engine, not the 8E, and later ones the AMC. I was told that a Villiers 2T, a twin 2 stroke, would fit in the frame too.

A mate had a Francis Barnett of similar vintage. I think that had the AMC motor as well.