Boom.

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, mross said:

Athy, oh Athy!  Do you mean facetious?  Faecetious is a word you have invented, presumably it means a shitty joke?  But it's your neologism, so you can decide.

And the winner is....Martin, who gains a greeno!

Bit of a portmanteau word, was the intention. I am not sure that I can claim the copyright though.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Amazingly, some cars still have them too.

This may appear a faecetious comment, but there's a serious point: if millions of cars on the roads have inboard petrol engines, and very few of them ever explode, there are obviously ways of making such engines safe in everyday use. Can these techniques not be applied to boats?

My old petrol cars often peed petrol out of the carb spindles but it just dripped on the road and dispersed. 

Cars with carbs with a flat spot usually due to the accelerator pump tube being blocked would pop back would emit a beautiful flash of flames from the air intake, in some cases setting light to the paper air filter which sometimes set light to and consumed the plastic filter container and the whole car in some cases. Vauxhall Viva, HA,HB and HC were quite famous for this. Ford Essex V engines when their carburetter float level valve stuck and the petrol would overflow into the valley between the cylinder heads and then sparks from the distributor which was mounted in the middle of it would produce a lovely firery experience sometimes consuming the whole car. There was a plastic tube from the carb top to carry away overflowing petrol overboard for this reason but this had often become detached and was the cause of the fire.

Its also a shame about that rather nice Japanese style wooden canopy at Burton waters fueling point.

Edited by bizzard

Well pleased I've got rid of my outboard petrol,it always gave me the Willys on a hot summers day filling the tank,big vapour plumes when filling,and a all metal boat,to cause a spark if anything falls or drops ,sorry for there losses ,at least no one got burnt 

bit of a lesson learnt 

Air cooled petrol engines might be safer in boats if they're encased with tin plate and hot air ducted overboard. The flywheel fan would continually suck in petrol fumes from the engine space and eject it overboard, while the engines running. The BOOM!!! might still happen though if someone happens to flick a lighted dog end overboard past the cooling outlet aperture.

1 minute ago, mross said:

Not many car owners leave a gas hob running when they refuel.  Mobile phones have caused the odd boom.

The vapours from refuelling a car sink to ground and disperse away without harm.

In a boat it is different.  The only place they can go is in the bilge, hence the requirements for bilge blowers to remove them.

You are not comparing like for like  .

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It did not happen apparently it was a scare story, also in the 1990's mobile phones were analog not digital and used different power levels. I can confirm that using one in Leeds town hall in 1998 caused the fire alarms to go off I didn't admit it at the time though,  not in the rain in the car park with all 300 odd staff. 

How many people put petrol generators on their back decks and fill them with the fire lit...its down to the prevailing wind and luck. Petrol and boats just don't mix. No of boats I used to see with petrol genies running on the back step "venting" through the doors. I remember an incident  when a family in Ricky with a residential mooring shed etc put the genny in the well deck  turned it on for the telly....and had a long hard sleep. Day after when they were released from hospital with co2 poisoning I walked past. Guess what genny in bilges going again... Co2 and petrol vapour cannot climb out of a hull

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

How many people put petrol generators on their back decks and fill them with the fire lit...its down to the prevailing wind and luck. Petrol and boats just don't mix. No of boats I used to see with petrol genies running on the back step "venting" through the doors. I remember an incident  when a family in Ricky with a residential mooring shed etc put the genny in the well deck  turned it on for the telly....and had a long hard sleep. Day after when they were released from hospital with co2 poisoning I walked past. Guess what genny in bilges going again... Co2 and petrol vapour cannot climb out of a hull

There is no reason why petrol boats can not be used safely if you have a little bit of common sense.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

CO2 isn't poisonous, but it may asphyxiate you in high concentrations.

it is CO (carbon MON-oxide) that is poisonous. :banghead:

On 27/03/2017 at 01:59, roland elsdon said:

Point of order m'lud.

Lets not start conflating petrol vapour with CO, or did you really mean CO2? Petrol vapour behaves mush the same as LPG and needs controlling using the same methods. CO is about the same density as air and can easily waft out of a hull. 

I'm not so sure about the relative density of CO2, but the 'long had sleep' you mention sounds more like CO poisoning to me than CO2 poisoning. CO2 makes you hyper-ventilate, not fall asleep.

Grammar edit.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Taken from the Petrol Filling Stations Guidance on Managing The Risks Of Fire & Explosion
(The Red Guide)

MOBILE TELEPHONES
7) Generally mobile telephones are not designed and certified for use in
explosive atmospheres. Their use can also create a serious distraction for
people carrying out dispensing activities. Radio transmissions from individual
mobile telephones are generally too low to induce dangerous electric currents
in nearby equipment and the risk of incendive sparking from the battery is
low, however, they should not be used in the hazardous areas that exist
when actually dispensing petrol. Neither should they be used in the
hazardous areas around the fill and vent pipes during petrol deliveries.
8) Rather than applying a total prohibition on the use of mobile telephones on
petrol forecourts which has resulted in some anomalies and frequent abuse
to staff, the following controls are recommended:
a) Mobile telephones should not be used by customers or forecourt staff
whilst actually dispensing petrol into fuel tanks or containers;

The risk is low, but the consequences are horrendous.  If the forecourt operators safety policies talk about restricting the use then they have to comply with them.  I won't be using my phone while actually fuelling.

On 27/03/2017 at 01:59, roland elsdon said:

In addition to the fire risk the running  a petrol generator on the deck of a boat is potentially lethal due to the CO in the exhaust entering the boat . Running petrol generator in the bilges must be no less than attempted murder/suicide. The outcome of CO poisoning need not necessarily be death but disability due to  brain damage .