Boom.

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

sorry - software messing me up again.

the terminology is 'intrinsically safe'.  We use such equipment in hazardous zones in the oil and gas business. Of course it needs to extend to switchgear, control gear and the motor itself.

Edited by Murflynn

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its a desperate shame no-one watching was brave enough to go and move the Fairline.

I suppose the other boat appeared to be at more risk as the bow was closer to the fire...

It took hold so quick there wasn't time to rescue the Fairline unfortunately. 

Some poor sod had just handed over the money and bought it!

The Rinker was also a sales boat.

It is very fortunate no one was hurt. It transpires the old boy with the Freeman had forgotten he had something on the hob when he went to fill up!

I suspect we will be having a whole new set of rules regarding refuelling shortly!

15 hours ago, NickF said:

That's really scary! So glad it was only boats and not people hurt. Glad too that Naughty Cal did not melt!

You will never know just how close we were to being over there. 

We had been washing the canopies all morning and our next move was to get diesel. Liam insisted on changing his shoes which is when the boat went up!

Never have I been so glad he changed his shoes!

Hopefully we have enough fuel to get us to West Stockwith next weekend. We will have to fill up there. Our fuel berth will be out of order for the fore seeable future!

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Hopefully we have enough fuel to get us to West Stockwith next weekend. We will have to fill up there. Our fuel berth will be out of order for the fore seeable future!

The diesel supply at West Stockwith is no longer under C&RT but privately owned. I believe you have to order in advance and its cheaper the more you buty - which can be split between however many boats are in your party. I dont think he would be interested in a very small order. I can look up contact details if you would be interested.

59 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You will never know just how close we were to being over there. 

We had been washing the canopies all morning and our next move was to get diesel. Liam insisted on changing his shoes which is when the boat went up!

Never have I been so glad he changed his shoes!

You obviously have a guardian angel looking after you!

On 26/03/2017 at 08:53, Naughty Cal said:

It took hold so quick there wasn't time to rescue the Fairline unfortunately. 

Some poor sod had just handed over the money and bought it!

Well I hope he'd arranged his insurance before handing over the dosh.

Have to say in the past I've been inclined to seal the deal and get the boat in my hands then sort out insurance. I'll make sure I do it the other way around in future.

Although I suppose the insurance policy paying out ought to be that of the Freeman. I bet he's not a popular boater there today. Is he a moorer or just visiting to refuel? 

I'm surprised the fuel pontoon sells petrol anyway. Is there still significant demand amongst modern boat-shaped boats then?

16 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

A surprising amount of Antique Thames Launches have modern Diesels installed,have personally installed many

Out board fine,Open launches not bad if installed and maintained correctly

There was an article in the London papers the other day saying that petrol powered launches are to be banned from following the boat race boats!

Tim

And yet before about 1970 virtually all pleasure and hire boats were petrol driven ''inboard mostly or outboard'' including a couple of mine. I don't think I ever heard of any exploding although I suppose it must have happened on the odd occasion. Most folk these days do not have the practical savvy that folk had years ago when most stuff was DIY, make and mend.

The majority of people smoked in those days too, fags, pipes, cigars, and wore Trilby hats, which as well as covering the old napper were handy for smothering flames.   I remember watching on our B/W telly a bit of the Le Mans 24 race in the 1950's when a car came into the pits to refuel. A chap emerged with a rain mac and Trilby on, with a pipe in his mouth carrying a churn of petrol and a big funnel and proceeded to re-fuel the car. I'm sure I saw a wisp of smoke from the pipe, the bloke was puffing on it like billyo  anyhow.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And yet before about 1970 virtually all pleasure and hire boats were petrol driven ''inboard mostly or outboard'' including a couple of mine. I don't think I ever heard of any exploding although I suppose it must have happened on the odd occasion. Most folk these days do not have the practical savvy that folk had years ago when most stuff was DIY, make and mend.

The majority of people smoked in those days too, fags, pipes, cigars, and wore Trilby hats, which as well as covering the old napper were handy for smothering flames.   I remember watching on our B/W telly a bit of the Le Mans 24 race in the 1950's when a car came into the pits to refuel. A chap emerged with a rain mac and Trilby on, with a pipe in his mouth carrying a churn of petrol and a big funnel and proceeded to re-fuel the car. I'm sure I saw a wisp of smoke from the pipe, the bloke was puffing on it like billyo  anyhow.

They use to blow up quite regularly on the Broads

On 26/03/2017 at 11:25, Naughty Cal said:

A lot of the boats in the marina are Petrol.

I'm staggered. I thought inboard petrol engines had all but died out.

Is petrol still an option if buying a new boat, e.g. a Sealine then??

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Very much so.

It is the standard option on most sports cruisers.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Amazingly, some cars still have them too.

This may appear a faecetious comment, but there's a serious point: if millions of cars on the roads have inboard petrol engines, and very few of them ever explode, there are obviously ways of making such engines safe in everyday use. Can these techniques not be applied to boats?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Amazingly, some cars still have them too.

This may appear a faecetious comment, but there's a serious point: if millions of cars on the roads have inboard petrol engines, and very few of them ever explode, there are obviously ways of making such engines safe in everyday use. Can these techniques not be applied to boats?

In a car any vapours escape outside out of harms way .In a boat any vapours sit in the bilge.

On another forum, a former inhabitant of this village has asserted that there are no safety standards applicable to canal boats that are outside of BSS (he actually said BSC) - or at least he accused a CaRT person of lying when he stated that there were other safety standards. Does this incident not indicate that there is definitely a need for safety standards other than those enshrined in BSS? (Leaving aside the fact that RCD and BSS are not wholly aligned).

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

there are obviously ways of making such engines safe in everyday use. Can these techniques not be applied to boats

Cut the bottom out of the boat, lift the boat out above the water to allow the fumes to 'drop out'.

Same as gas appliances in caravans - leaks go out thru' the floor vents.

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

On another forum, a former inhabitant of this village has asserted that there are no safety standards applicable to canal boats that are outside of BSS (he actually said BSC) - or at least he accused a CaRT person of lying when he stated that there were other safety standards. Does this incident not indicate that there is definitely a need for safety standards other than those enshrined in BSS? (Leaving aside the fact that RCD and BSS are not wholly aligned).

But how would you stop the accident that happened at Burton Waters ?

The only way would be to have an 'interlock' on the fuel filler cap that could only be activated if the gas was turned off and no one was smoking in the vicinity.

In practice you cannot legislate for idiots - and - despite the lawyers suggestions - sometimes accidents do happen.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Cut the bottom out of the boat, lift the boat out above the water to allow the fumes to 'drop out'.

Ah, comedy hour at CWDF!

Is there no way of installing an engine so that the fumes do not lurk in the bottom of the boat? It doesn't sound like something which should be beyond the wit of modern scientists. ((Obviously the outboard engine is one way, but I mean an inboard engine).

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Ah, comedy hour at CWDF!

Is there no way of installing an engine so that the fumes do not lurk in the bottom of the boat? It doesn't sound like something which should be beyond the wit of modern scientists. ((Obviously the outboard engine is one way, but I mean an inboard engine).

No.

Bilge blowers should have been used but clearly were not in this case.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Ah, comedy hour at CWDF!

Bilge Blowers are the accepted method - as I mentioned above (Post No ???) switch bilge blower on 5+ minutes before starting engine, leave bilge blower running whilst the engine is running, leave bilge blower running 10+ minutes after switching off engine.

Turn gas off at bottle before re-fuelling

On 26/03/2017 at 16:05, Athy said:

Ah, comedy hour at CWDF!

It's nothing to do with the installation of the engine, its the volatile and heavy nature of petrol vapour. In fact it behaves almost identically to LPG. 

In a car any loose vapour falls out onto the road. 

The best solution is an IQ test before you can have a petrol-fueled boat. A minimum score of about 20 should do the trick.