Boom.

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Glad everyone / everything is all OK.

There are several reasons why Petrol powered boats are much, much cheaper than diesel ones - this is one of the reasons, and supports all of the extra safety requirements in the BSS.

A petrol boat (owner) was told to leave our Marina after refusing to agree to use the fuel berth. They repeatedly used 5 litre cans and refuelled on their mooring (pontoon amid other boats)

Eventually the Police were called and they were 'moved on' and went to Lincoln area.

I wonder if the fuel system on the boat was properly bonded to dissipate the static that can be created when refuelling.

I think that given fresh water is not a particularly good conductor an earthing strap should be used between filler and pump nozzle. I think (Nick will put me right) this is always done on aircraft.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that given fresh water is not a particularly good conductor an earthing strap should be used between filler and pump nozzle. I think (Nick will put me right) this is always done on aircraft.

That is correct. On small airfields it is the Fire Marshall's job, dunno who's job it is at major airports.

I've never understood how inboard petrol engines are made safe on boats. After all we're not supposed to store petrol generators or jerry cans containing petrol in engine rooms so what's the difference between that and an inboard marine petrol engine? Don't they still have carbs, seals, pipes connections, etc that can leak and allow a build up of fumes in the bilges?

Edited by blackrose

32 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've never understood how inboard petrol engines are made safe on boats. After all we're not supposed to store petrol generators or jerry cans containing petrol in engine rooms so what's the difference between that and an inboard marine petrol engine? Don't they still have carbs, seals, pipes connections, etc that can leak and allow a build up of fumes in the bilges?

My Freeman had a bilge blower which evacuated any fumes from the bilge. Rules were turn it on before the fuel and leave it on for 15minutes after stopping. When leaving the boat we would turn off the fuel and run the carb dry leaving the blower running afterwards.

42 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Don't they still have carbs, seals, pipes connections, etc that can leak and allow a build up of fumes in the bilges?

Yes - which is why you are supposed to run the bilge blowers* for 5 mins + (vented to the outside) before 'turning the key'.

* marine 'spark-proof' fans designed for use in hazardous atmospheres - not just any old 'computer fan' that is lying around.

As my batteries are in the same space as the engines (diesels) I have bilge blowers fitted on all my boats.

A battery on charge can produce some 'nasties'.

Its not a big thing to have the blowers and to turn them on - it avoids the build up of any 'gases'.

I never understood why NBs with the engines and Batteries in the same space are not fitted with them as standard.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Petrol Engines can be safe,as long as you hang them on the transom of the boat and place the Portable Fuel Tank in a Gas type Locker

19 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Petrol Engines can be safe,as long as you hang them on the transom of the boat and place the Portable Fuel Tank in a Gas type Locker

agree;  if fitted inboard they, and their fuel systems, are intrinsically unsafe.

scary to think that petrol inboards like Stuart Turners and Watermotas were the norm for decades; most of those beautiful varnished Edwardian launches had petrol engines. 

21 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

agree;  if fitted inboard they, and their fuel systems, are intrinsically unsafe.

scary to think that petrol inboards like Stuart Turners and Watermotas were the norm for decades; most of those beautiful varnished Edwardian launches had petrol engines. 

A surprising amount of Antique Thames Launches have modern Diesels installed,have personally installed many

Out board fine,Open launches not bad if installed and maintained correctly

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wonder if the fuel system on the boat was properly bonded to dissipate the static that can be created when refuelling.

You are quite correct, always done on aircraft. Although aircraft have anti static tyres which should remove the static, the earth strap is still used.

I think modern petrol injected engines are intrinsically safer that those with carburettors because a carburettor is hardly gas/vapour proof and certainly not leak proof once it is several tears old.

The number of down draft carbs I have seen (typical on Ford and early Austin engines) spewing petrol out of the throttle spindle when they are shut down scares me.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

You are quite correct, always done on aircraft. Although aircraft have anti static tyres which should remove the static, the earth strap is still used.

Even using Avtur Jet Fuel which has a much higher flash point than petrol

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - which is why you are supposed to run the bilge blowers* for 5 mins + (vented to the outside) before 'turning the key'.

* marine 'spark-proof' fans designed for use in hazardous atmospheres - not just any old 'computer fan' that is lying around.

I agree with you about spark proof fans, but what is the physical difference between the proper job and a computer fan? The latter have been brushless for years and unlikely to generate sparks or anything "burning out" in the fan. In my long experience of computer fans- if they fail, they just stop, no drama, no smoke ,no flames. I'm not suggesting they should be used for bilge blowers in petrol installations,just curious.

Bill

• Greenie 1