Lister HA Fuel Return query

Liam

Featured Posts

I have a HA2 with a leaky fuel return pipe, not actually the spill rail but the copper pipe which joins onto that. I think the olive is misshapen so it's allowing fuel to weep out of the join. The simple solution would be to replace this olive, but...

Once the copper pipe leaves the spill rail, it then runs back on itself, going uphill and joins the overflow fuel pipe from the day tank, back to the main tank. It's only supported at either end, although it does have "loops" in the copper pipe I don't think the vibration of the engine generally does it much of a favour in the long term.

A very short distance from the spill rail is the fuel filter. What I'd like to do, to reduce the run of the pipe and to make it look a lot neater and to keep it out of the way is to connect the fuel return back into the filter.

I've read this is bad practice on a JP as they don't like any form of back pressure on the return, but can't find a definitive answer for the HA engines. Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance,
Liam

All fuel piping, high pressure and low and oil pressure gauge capilliary piping needs cleating very frequently with rubber bushed clips to damp the vibrational buzz which busts the piping fixed on or close to diesel engines.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

The other,generic, trouble with spill returns to the filter is recirculating air in the event of a minor leak.

N

And when bleeding, changing filters, and other such routine stuff

A spill back to tank is so much more convenient

Richard

Had endless problems with some Broads boats we bought that had the spill rail running to the water trap/filter. All solved by routing it back to the tank. I know that in theory there shoudl be no air leaks into the fuel system but I think that they are all but impossible to totally eliminate so the bleed back to the tank solves the problem.

My advice is don't do it. Find a way of supporting the bleed back all the way to the tank. I also hate coils in copper pipe as an anti-vibration measure. Unless you anneal them every few years the pipe tends to vibrate, work harden and snap without warning. I know that on that type of engine its very much non-traditional but I would always try to fit flexibles. At least they look horrible and scare you into changing them long before they get close to failing.

Edited by Tony Brooks
Autocorrect changed hate in para 2 to have, ruined the sense of the paragraph