Salters Lode closed UFN

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

The MLC have issued a notice that Salters Lode lock is closed UFN for repairs to the guillotine gate.

Last time it failed, IIRC it took them forever to fix it. I hope they do better this time,we had planned to go that way next month.

OK so I spoke to Paul, it's an electrical fault and the engineers are coming to fix it on Tuesday. There's also an EA/ Middle Level meeting next Thursday about the lock and dredging etc. He says he expects it will be fine for Easter and that people should just ring him if they want to know more.

9 minutes ago, Black Ibis said:

OK so I spoke to Paul, it's an electrical fault and the engineers are coming to fix it on Tuesday. There's also an EA/ Middle Level meeting next Thursday about the lock and dredging etc. He says he expects it will be fine for Easter and that people should just ring him if they want to know more.

Have the ML finished their dredging?

16 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

The MLC have issued a notice that Salters Lode lock is closed UFN for repairs to the guillotine gate.

Last time it failed, IIRC it took them forever to fix it. I hope they do better this time,we had planned to go that way next month.

Yes, we were stuck going between Ely and Cambridge and even after it was fixed, and we were on the pontoon at Denver waiting for the off, it failed again.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have the ML finished their dredging?

They've finished this year's portion through Upwell, yes, a few weeks ago now. They've done about another half-mile, from New Bridge (next to the Globe pub) to Church Bridge (next to...well, I'll let you guess).

This news report sparked a discussion between Mrs. Athy and myself as to who is responsible for Salter's Lode lock. I thought it was the Middle Level Commissioners, she was of the opinion that it was the Environment Agency. Does anyone know for sure?

4 hours ago, Athy said:

This news report sparked a discussion between Mrs. Athy and myself as to who is responsible for Salter's Lode lock. I thought it was the Middle Level Commissioners, she was of the opinion that it was the Environment Agency. Does anyone know for sure?

It's the responsibility of the MLC up to and including the guillotine gate. The tidal river side landing and channel are EA territory.

Cheers,

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa
Trim quote.

Having phoned Paul last Tuesday and found out the locking through times for going through today  (Monday) - I have to say it was a bit of a surprise finding this out yesterday on my way to Denver :rolleyes: Now sat at Ely and think I may take the time to go have a look down the Lark as it must have been the late 80's since I last did.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday..

2 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Having phoned Paul last Tuesday and found out the locking through times for going through today  (Monday) - I have to say it was a bit of a surprise finding this out yesterday on my way to Denver :rolleyes: Now sat at Ely and think I may take the time to go have a look down the Lark as it must have been the late 80's since I last did.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday..

The Lark, especially the top end, is great.

11 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

And the Brandon Ouse is also very fine --  I personally prefer it to the Lark. Nice walks / cycle rides in Thetford Forest also on offer.

I thought the guillotine gate at Salters was owned by the EA ??

It is indeed- I visited it year before last. Saw an enormous Terrapin and a Crane (of the massive flying kind)

Suns out now too :-)

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Salters Lode has had a temporary fix and is business as usual as of tomorrow morning (Wednesday 29th)

...Unless your boat is longer than 62', in which case you need them to deal with the sandbank just outside the lock otherwise you can't get in on the level.

20 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

...Unless your boat is longer than 62', in which case you need them to deal with the sandbank just outside the lock otherwise you can't get in on the level.

How bad is the sandbank? At 67 ft we would expect to go through on the level.

13 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

How bad is the sandbank? At 67 ft we would expect to go through on the level.

The Commissioners and the EA are meeting about it on Thursday, hopefully it'll be dredged soon. Paul wasn't very hopeful that we'd get through with it in place.

I've got to correct myself and say it's more the entrance has silted up a bit, rather than a sand bar as such.

18 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

The Commissioners and the EA are meeting about it on Thursday, hopefully it'll be dredged soon. Paul wasn't very hopeful that we'd get through with it in place.

I've got to correct myself and say it's more the entrance has silted up a bit, rather than a sand bar as such.

Nothing new there then..

Probably got a 70fter in a few weeks to get through- sounds like you will be there before me so can you push out a nice groove for me pls :lol:

11 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Just gone through and the Relief lockie says theres plant arriving Monday to clear the entrance. So Happy Days. Thats bloody good service from somewhere that you dont even pay a licence to ( yet)

...and yet if you read all the petitions against boat licencing, apparently the Commissioners do nothing for boaters!

That was very good news to see earlier, means we can get to the church (well, registry office) on time.

10 hours ago, FadeToScarlet said:

...and yet if you read all the petitions against boat licencing, apparently the Commissioners do nothing for boaters!

That was very good news to see earlier, means we can get to the church (well, registry office) on time.

Thought you'd like to hear that. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan for you both :D

22 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Just gone through and the Relief lockie says theres plant arriving Monday to clear the entrance. So Happy Days. Thats bloody good service from somewhere that you dont even pay a licence to ( yet)

But surely, being on the Great Ouse rather than the Old Nene side, the work is being done for the EA, not the MLC?

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

But surely, being on the Great Ouse rather than the Old Nene side, the work is being done for the EA, not the MLC?

I have no idea - maybe the EA and MLC go dutch :D

I would imagine it has to go through MLC as at the very least machinery will be operating off their land at Salters Lode. And all the H & S regs that go with that etc..