Featured Posts

My rev counter will not return to zero despite switching off the engine and all 12volt power. It is mounted in a the basic control panel fitted with my Lister LPWS4. It used to zero and it still moves up and down as the engine revs are varied. I have recently added enlarged my domestic battery bank and fitted a new starter battery  I have also renewed failing crimped terminal connectors an the alternator. Please has  anyone got any idea what may have gone wrong

Thanks

The previous owner of our last Nb (with an LPWS4) had exactly the same problem, he took it back to the builder, and insisted they replace it, a short time & the new one was exactly the same - he then had someone else replace it and, after some time it was exactly the same.

Don't worry about it - does it really matter.

I found that when you switch on the ignition it drops back to Zero, and once the engine is running it reads correctly.

The problem is just when you switch off the ignition it seems to 'freeze' at around 600 (ish) RPM

On my Beta the needle "freezes" when i switch off the ignition, but if i leave it switched on for about 10 seconds after stopping the engine it drops back to zero. To avoid having to listen to the alarm sounding during that period i have fitted a relay to disable the alarm while the stop button is held in (or while the heaters are on)

Think about it.

The alternator will be self-energising when the ignition is switched off so it will still be providing pulses until almost the moment the engine stops rotating.  The moment you turn the ignition off you normally cut the 12V feed to the rev counter so its mechanism just stops working. On a typical petrol engine rev counter it seems the needle is driven up against a spring sp when the 12V supply is cut the spring returns the needle to zero. I get the distinct impression that many diesel rev counter drive the needle both up and down so if you cut the 12V supply the needle stays where it is.

Mine has done this from new and as I have to turn the key back through OFF to get to the stop position its not easy to do anything about it. I could provide another 12V feed from the stop terminal on the switch but if the diode failed the engine would stop and not start again. I have considered putting a large capacitor across the 12V feed but I can love with the fales reading when stopped. Life is too short.

5 hours ago, nobbut said:

My rev counter will not return to zero despite switching off the engine and all 12volt power. It is mounted in a the basic control panel fitted with my Lister LPWS4. It used to zero and it still moves up and down as the engine revs are varied. I have recently added enlarged my domestic battery bank and fitted a new starter battery  I have also renewed failing crimped terminal connectors an the alternator. Please has  anyone got any idea what may have gone wrong

Thanks

Perfect excuse ,.... you can go past moored boats at 4mph with the shout "the rev counter says I'm on tickover"