Help please. Oil spill and rattling engine

Simon and Pu

Featured Posts

If it were my engine, I'd have the oil filter removed and opened for inspection after such an incident. Cut it open with tin snips and examine th e paper element within for metal particles. Just hope you don't find any. Filter ought to be changed after such an event anyway. This is exactly why on ship engines they have two stage oil pressure monitoring. Ist stage is an alarm, second stage is a shutdown. Particularly in unmanned engine spaces, it is a Lloyd's requirement. 

I,d say the warning lights on cos low oil. Its been leaking out for sometime. Doesnt damage the engine until its been run dry for a while longer and maybe not too much if its only been idling, not under load. Needs a mechanic to put the long bolt back in, check tighten the others, fill it up with oil and give it a run at idle, check for leaks, noises, oil pressure lights n gauge, n temperatures before opening up for a spell at higher revs maybe 2500. Stabilise at that for a time and check pressures and temps again along with noises and leaks. Soon as possible change that oil again and filter change, possibly checking the oil for any metallic finings.

Not much else can be done if the rattling doesnt stop or warnings still on and pressure low, it needs a rebuild or replacement engine.

It certainly probably has reduced the life of that engine.

Oh dear and they say ignorance is bliss ! What jolly japes.

Good heavens: and I thouht I was a novice, hope all goes well, I suggest you buy an engine manual, and ask a good marine engineer to come and give it a full service, with you there, to learn, and keep an engine log.  Then start it up while he is there.

• Greenie 1