Help please. Oil spill and rattling engine

Simon and Pu

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Simon and Pu said:

Yes there is. But this has always been lit 

image.jpg

The oil light and the two battery lights should come on when you turn the ignition on, but go out as soon as the engine starts. The temperature light should never come on (unless the engine overheats).  If the lights have been doing anything else before the current problem started then you probably have a wiring fault somewhere.

18 minutes ago, mross said:

The oil came out when the bolt/screw fell out.  I think they have two problems don't add to their woes! :) 

How was suggesting they get someone knowledgeable to look at the engine adding to their woes???

1 hour ago, mross said:

You may have seriously damaged the engine by running with no oil.  But you might get away with it if the engine was stopped in time.  If it were me I would fill with oil again and try it.  Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

Can you tell us the make and model of engine?

If it was me, I'd want to find out something about the leak before putting another 5 litres of oil in the bilges.

in reply to IanM - No, I mean the oil fell out and the oil pressure warning light is on.  I don't think the oil loss is separate to the bolt coming loose and making a horrible noise.  I'd already suggested they get expert help.

Edited by mross

Without wanting to be the bearer of bad news, by the time the low oil pressure warning buzzer is sounding you have probably already caused damage to the engine.

Same goes for cars. By the time the warning light comes on you have already racked up a big bill.:blink:

It sounds like the OP is not far from a marina. My next move would be to get an engineer to come out and have a look at it. Putting more oil in now will just mean putting more oil into the engine bay bilge if the source of the leak is not found.

My next piece of advice for the OP is to get themselves on a diesel engine maintenance course and learn something about engines. You rely on the engine in your boat o you need to know how to do the basic of maintenance to keep it running. 

• Greenie 2

Once its topped up with oil and before actually starting it up I'd check to make sure it has oil pressure. This can be done by holding the electric stop solenoid on or operating the starter with the stop button pressed''whatever your set up is''. so that the engine turns over without starting up. Slacken that bolt or slacken off the oil pressure sender or even the oil filter to make sure oil pumps out under pressure whilst turning the engine over as the above. Then re-tighten whatever you slackened off. You should then be safe to start up to determine whether any knocking or rattles are present.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That is going to be far too technical for someone who thought ATF fluid was engine oil! :rolleyes:

That's as maybe, but it's very important that that is done before an attempt at starting it up is made. Who does it is up to the OP.

• Greenie 1

Ok all sorted.   Got the oil.  Screwed the screw back in.  Moped out all the oil in the well deck.  Added the oil. Dipstick reading bang on.  Fired up the engine and gave it top revs.  Then noticed oil farting out of a hole.  Stopped engine. Then just under a big screw hole was a cap that has come off by the alternater.  Hell knows how that came off.   All back on.  Fired up. Runs like a dream. Thanks for everybodies help today. 

30 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That is going to be far too technical for someone who thought ATF fluid was engine oil! :rolleyes:

Lol he's right 

4 minutes ago, Simon and Pu said:

Sorry.  I ran it low for a while then gave it a quick burst. Then I seen where the oil was coming out 

I would still suggest you get the oil pressure checked as a minimum, Bigend shells are a lot cheaper than a new crank in 6 months time.

Does the oil light go out now, if not find out why not.

Edited by ditchcrawler

8 minutes ago, MHS said:

If the leak was near your alternator(s) I would suggest making sure the belts are not covered in oil. If so, your next problem may be that your batteries will struggle to charge. 

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not another battery charging thread!!!! :lol: