Help please. Oil spill and rattling engine

Simon and Pu

Featured Posts

Good morning. Last night I came home and my wife was running the engine, she told me there's a funny sound. It wasn't funny it was terrible. She didn't turn the engine off and kept running it ( big mistake I know).  This morning I've lifted the boards to find a long pin had come out and oil from the engine is spiller out all over the place. 

I have put the screw back in tight. And checked the oil dip stick and its bone dri 

please see pics below 

1) is this the correct fluid to put in where the oil engine cap is 

you can see in pic 2 the pin that was loose making the terrible sound 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It will more than likely be 15/40 as it looks like a modern beta or somett. I cant see the pole thing you mean that you tightened up? You may have got away without terminal damage as often even when no oil on dipstick there is sufficient in the engine for it to survive but that will depend on the source of " The noise "

You may have seriously damaged the engine by running with no oil.  But you might get away with it if the engine was stopped in time.  If it were me I would fill with oil again and try it.  Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

Can you tell us the make and model of engine?

Just now, Simon and Pu said:

Ok great I'll walk to the boat yard and get engine oil 

should I not start the engine until I have oil ? 

So this is gear box fluid where does this go as I can't see any where for it. I can't find a dipstick for the gear box 

Forget the gearbox for now!! Get engine oil and DONT overfill it. If thats a modern usual set up you may well find the gearbox oil is the same as the engine oil but GET SOMEONE to have a look or you will have just spent thousands :o

The 'pin' is a bolt that (probably) holds part of the timing case on and it was rattling against the alternator - so it needs tightening up.

It's possible that the engine is damaged - but as other have said while I type get some engine oil  '15/40' is the most popular type and you'll need at least 5 litres and possibly more.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE UNTIL YOU HAVE ADDED FRESH OIL

Don't worry about the gearbox oil for now

It's not a Beta engine (wrong colour) 

Too many replies happening so I'll stop.

Edited by OldGoat

3 minutes ago, mross said:

You may have seriously damaged the engine by running with no oil.  But you might get away with it if the engine was stopped in time.  If it were me I would fill with oil again and try it.  Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

Can you tell us the make and model of engine?

The engine is Isuzu 35 inc 120d2

i can't see an oil pressure gage 

Guys!  Get professional help.  Do not run the engine until someone knowledgeable has looked at it.  I think you may now need a new engine.  The oil pressure warning switch on the engine might have failed but you should not run an engine with a warning light on unless you are made of money.

1 minute ago, Simon and Pu said:

There was a warning sound beep just started as I turned off the engine.  

Bilge ge pump is switched off. I 100 percent will not pump oil into the canal 

You are in the lap of the Gods at the moment then.

Might be worth working out how the oil came out before you put more in.

Get someone who knows about engines to have a look as quite frankly knowing what oil to put in and what the warning lights mean are very basic things that you need to know from day one.  Just because a warning light is always on doesn't mean it is meant to be!