Oxford Canal Lock 41 shipton weir stoppage extended 25th March

frangar

Featured Posts

Just been in touch with CRT after a tip off!  Lock 41 stoppage has been extended by a day till Sat 25 March. Due to reopen now at 4pm. 

Dont think website has been updated yet. 

Thought best to start a new topic so it gets noticed. 

Just had the email!!

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Lock 41, Shipton Lock
Ends At: Lock 41, Shipton Lock

Wednesday 15 March 2017 09:00 until Saturday 25 March 2017 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Repair

Update on 23/03/2017:

Due to unexpected issues with our supply chain, the work to repair the lock gates has been delayed.  Our local team and Contractors have been working together to recover the lost time, however we need to extend the stoppage until 4pm om Saturday 25 March to enable the works to be completed. 

We apologise for the delay and thank you for your patience whilst we complete these essential repairs. 

19 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Why do you need a chain to repair a lock gate ??

I reckon they ran out of tea & cake.......

The hire boat crew that need to be back in Oxford on Saturday are less than chuffed....they had a call from their hire base saying they wouldn't be able to get through...that's what made me double check with CRT...and then as if by magic an email appeared......

Edited by frangar

We are moored in Napton (going to the folly tonight) and there has been a steady stream of boats going past on their way to the locks 

The last three were hire boats 

Reckon the Oxford is going to be busy this weekend 

Haggis 

Sitting at enslow wharf now.....few boats waiting but not mad....several boats that passed me when i was moored at Heyford didn't know the opening was delayed or that it was closed.....to be fair there aren't any notices saying it's shut wihich I think is a pretty poor show on CRTs part.....not everyone has email or internet aboard.....a few notices on the notice boards or pinned to the lock balance beams wouldn't go amiss especially as it's in the end of the river section when you are going south.....and that's on yellow on the gauge at the moment. 

59 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just to say all repopend today 25/3 at about 2pm......however I got rather stuck on something in the bottom of Shipton lock and needed to be flushed out.....I only draw 2ft 8in so that doesn't bode well......

I had a quite deep draughted boat for a while ( 3 feet ) I have to say that this one at 1ft 10 inches makes soooooo much more sense.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I had a quite deep draughted boat for a while ( 3 feet ) I have to say that this one at 1ft 10 inches makes soooooo much more sense.

Personally I'd rather have a deep water draught and less air draft.....makes for a much nicer handling boat plus in my eyes it looks better......and I've cruised most of the system

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

Personally I'd rather have a deep water draught and less air draft.....makes for a much nicer handling boat plus in my eyes it looks better......and I've cruised most of the system

Yes its horses for courses. I prefer being able to use the boat and get alongside anywhere rather than what it looks like as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As for handling all narrowboats are realy bath tubs be they old or new and handling is way better on boat shaped boats. I too have done most of the system ( several times ) but stuck for a while whilst working at the moment..................:(