wiring loom

dreadnought

Featured Posts

hi,i could do with a  little help with my engine wiring,i`ve bought and fitted a 1800 bmc engine into my nb, it came with the wire loom witch just plugged into connections on the engine,i had to replace the ignition switch,when i turned the key for the first time no lights lit up on the control panel but the engine turned over and started fine,but i dont no if its charging or if the glo plugs are working its seems the control panel is dead, any ideas please, cheers guys

If it started on the key then at least some of the connections in the loom plug are good. And if it started easily from a cold engine then its a fair guess the heater plug wiring is OK. But the lack of any warning lights suggests you may not be charging, and if you have oil pressure or temperature warning lights they may not be working either.

Take a look at Hackenbush's thread on not charging to get an idea of the things to look for.

Is the switch an exact replacement and are the wires connected to exactly the same terminals ? I would expect a BMC to need a switch with four positions and four connections (though probably more than four actual terminals) : OFF -> ignition on ->(sprung)-> heat on ->(sprung)-> engine starter. The minimal connections are power in, feed to alternator/ignition circuits, feed to heater plugs, feed to starter solenoid. I suspect it may be possible to create the symptoms you describe by simply swapping the "power in" connection with the feed to alternator depending on the exact switching layout & sequence within the switch.

springy