Attachment Limit

Go to solution Solved by nicknorman,

Featured Posts

I just went into 'my attachments', and it informed me that  "You have used 4.73 MB of your 97.66 MB attachment limit".  I don't post lots of pics, but those who do could easily reach what appears to be a personal limit quite quickly.

I don't see how to remove one's attachments, so what happens when one reaches the limit?

You are right in that there is a 100mb personal attachment limit though this is nothing new. IIRC when you reach the limit, it won't allow you to upload any more attachments until you delete any you no longer require. (see attached which shows how to get to the right page)

myattachments.png

The site is hosted on a server which uses SSD hard drives which are fast but mean storage was limited until recently which is likely one of the reasons behind this limit. However, we are trialing a "Cloud" storage solution and if that is successful, increasing the 100mb personal attachment limit will be viable.

RichM

I must say, its not initially obvious how attachments are removed, and it may well be that members do not have permission to remove their attachments.

The limit was set when we first started allowing images to be uploaded, it was the default amount but also appeared to give a reasonable capacity to upload images given that they where re-sized on upload. We have the option to lift this limit, for all users, or on a case by case basis for high users.

Since the update images have not been set to resize, which causes the rate of data consumption to go up, which is something that perhaps needs to be reviewed.
There is obviously a balance between ensuring the file size remains reasonable both in terms of storage and bandwidth use, while also ensuring the quality of the images we store is not overly compromised.

And Richard says, we are currently trailing an off-site storage solution which is a new function to be embedded in the largest version of the software, which hosts images on a secure cloud based solution rather than on our own server alongside the database. This should give a good balance of high performance (but costly) solid state disks in the main server, and more cost effective but equally high performance off site storage of images and other larger files, which is a system that is becoming increasingly popular with similar sites.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

How things change.

The hard drive on my first PC was 105mb of which I don't think I ever used more than half including the installation of Win3.1 and all my software. Seemed like endless vistas of space I'd never use, especially as I'd upgraded from a BBC micro with 2 x floppy drives.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How things change.

The hard drive on my first PC was 105mb of which I don't think I ever used more than half including the installation of Win3.1 and all my software. Seemed like endless vistas of space I'd never use, especially as I'd upgraded from a BBC micro with 2 x floppy drives.

My first PC, I paid £400 (yes, four hundred pounds) extra for a CD reader, ~ 700 Mb per disk, with the salesman proudly telling me "Never again Sir will you have 'insert disk 1 of n'" (Win 3.1 was, if I recall, twelve floppy disks or one CD). Now my Grandson's playstation has games on multiple Blu-Ray disks at ~45 Gb per disk...

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How things change.

You lucky bugger. Mine had a 10 mb hard drive that dimmed the lights when switched on. 

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It seems quite easy to delete one's attachments, selecting My Attachments gives a list of them, and for each one there is a dustbin icon to the right which deletes the item.

Thank you Nick, for exploring some of the more out of the way corners of this site.

Obviously if you delete your attachments it leaves posts with missing attachments, images, etc. So while an option it should not I would suggest be done routinely.

If you do not have space to add new images please let us know.

Daniel