XHose Expandable Hose

Dharl

Featured Posts

We are looking to get a replacement water hose for the boat and are considering a "XHose Expandable Hose".     Reasons for buying one of these is that when empty of water they take up very little space, light to carry and also don't kink when being coiled up!   Does anyone have any experience of these and can you recommend / give any pros please?

thanks guys, just tried looking for hose rather than Xhose.........

Thinking of getting a 100ft hose for the boat, bit pricy but seems to have plenty of spare for when we 'park' a way from the top.....

Just now, Dharl said:

Thinking of getting a 100ft hose for the boat, bit pricy but seems to have plenty of spare for when we 'park' a way from the top.....

No matter how long your hose is, the tap I will be 1foot further away than your hose :)   If you have a home mooring with water nearby, I would cut a hose just to that length and then use a connector for the rest of the hose for when your out n about and need the extra length.

Just now, Dharl said:

Get 2x 50 foot, or 1x75 and 1x 25 - makes it much easier and allows various 'options' depending on where the tap is.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Robbo said:

No matter how long your hose is, the tap I will be 1foot further away than your hose :)   If you have a home mooring with water nearby, I would cut a hose just to that length and then use a connector for the rest of the hose for when your out n about and need the extra length.

that very much sod law....same when trying to connect up shore power line......

As a Share boat, she spends plenty of time on the cut..sadly not with me at the helm as much as  I like!

Just now, Dharl said:

that very much sod law....same when trying to connect up shore power line......

As a Share boat, she spends plenty of time on the cut..sadly not with me at the helm as much as  I like!

It may be nice to have a shorter hose that is of decent length for the majority of taps, and then a longer one for the rest.   Especially if you need to unwind the hose fully, or it needs to expand.

Just now, Robbo said:

It may be nice to have a shorter hose that is of decent length for the majority of taps, and then a longer one for the rest.   Especially if you need to unwind the hose fully, or it needs to expand.

hadn't thought about that, however with this XHose you don't seem to need to worry (so much ) on the unwind / wind it as it seems (if you believe the TV ads) to be pretty good at that and that's a minor selling point.....  

Just now, Dharl said:

hadn't thought about that, however with this XHose you don't seem to need to worry (so much ) on the unwind / wind it as it seems (if you believe the TV ads) to be pretty good at that and that's a minor selling point.....  

If you get the longer one you can always cut it to length.

Just now, Robbo said:

If you get the longer one you can always cut it to length.

I don't think you can cut it as the end attachment seems to be an integral part...though only seen that on various You Tube user reviews.      Seems a few draw backs for use around the garden (use of sprinkler etc) however for filling the FW Tank or washing down the less shiny bits it seems OK.

Used a 100ft one for the last couple of years, very pleased with it. The only problem is that I have to turn the water on to expand the hose, then drag it to the boat (I don't use any connections on the boat end).

Also, mine came from a local market and only cost £10, have a look around local 'Home Bargains' type shops before buying the expensive, branded ones.

Kevin

I use one, the 75ft. The only problem, if it is one, is that you need to jam something in the filler cap with the hose to stop it shooting out. Also, I find I need to hold its open end, turn on the tap and then walk to the boat with it running otherwise the end flies about like a wild snake and soaks you.

Just now, Ex Brummie said:

I use one, the 75ft. The only problem, if it is one, is that you need to jam something in the filler cap with the hose to stop it shooting out. Also, I find I need to hold its open end, turn on the tap and then walk to the boat with it running otherwise the end flies about like a wild snake and soaks you.

Have got one,it came with a Conical adjustable spray Nozzle,if the Nozzle is adjusted to it's highest flow setting it will remain in side the Water Filler hole with water Tap on or off

Edited by cereal tiller

2 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Why not?

Neil?

Hi, 

The instructions with the hose state - 'do not use with pressure washer' and I don't think they deliver enough water to the washing unit for it to operate properly. I tried mine with a PW and can confirm this is the case.

M

One of the disadvantages quoted is that the 'Magic' hose only expands when there is internal water pressure so you have to turn on the water at the tap end and, as the hose expands, drag the business end to the boat tank and insert the end without getting soaked.  I'd agree and accept that as an issue.  

On the other hand, what are you using now?  My hose, before the arrival of the 'magic' hose, lived on a hose reel in the bow.  Since it spent 99% of its life coiled around the reel, it wanted to maintain a coiled shape no matter what I tried to do with it.  Connect one end to the tap and jam the other in the water tank - fine, as long as it stayed there.  But if the end pops out or when you want to reel it up again, the spiral/coil shape takes over and it is the very **!!%% to reel up again.  Wash the boat with the hose at full stretch - put the end down for a moment and "sproing!!" - its gone!!

So, for as long as it lasts (reports of premature failure of the inner) I'm a fan of my new toy.  Yes, you need to find a way of keeping the free end in the tank - not rock it science.  The ends are moulded to the hose so cutting to a desired length will not be an option.  Both ends tend to have an internally threaded connector - fine for screwing directly onto a standard CRT tap (so no click fit connector to forget) but you may find difficulty in getting fitments for the other end eg a /jet/nozzle etc if it doesn't come with one.

But I like the space saving aspect and portability.  Turn off the water, disconnect from the tap and let the water drain out while the hose contracts (without leaping into the cut like the old semi-rigid ones), then simply coil it up loosely like a mooring rope.  Mine lives in a small plastic box (ex-fat balls for the bird feeder) which can live in the saloon so that the hose dries out regularly and does not get musty/mouldy.

Yes - the tank takes an age to fill but when did you ever have a one that filled quickly!!?

And watch it if you have to drape these and roll flat hoses across towpaths from the water tap. Bikes belting over them that can pop them. Its sharp grit in their tyre treads that does it. -_-

Edited by bizzard

I once had a flat hose that reeled up from its midpoint.  This seemed to make packing it away very easy and quick.  And this was twenty years ago!  I have a hose for marina use that is very short and I think it makes a difference. 

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

And watch it if you have to drape these and roll flat hoses across towpaths from the water tap. Bikes belting over them can pop them. Its sharp grit in their tyre treads that does it. -_-

I stretch them across the towpath at head height to avoid this risk.

2 minutes ago, mross said:

I once had a flat hose that reeled up from its midpoint.  This seemed to make packing it away very easy and quick.  And this was twenty years ago!  I have a hose for marina use that is very short and I think it makes a difference. 

I stretch them across the towpath at head height to avoid this risk.

Neck height is better.