Got near our destination and ran into problems 

Exhaust needs replacing 

Water pump seals have gone 

Need new bilge pump 

and need a wire from battery to leasure battery  so it can charge 

Any idea of the cost of this roughly 

It's a thorny craft engine 1.8 Ltd

Thanks tat

there are plenty of chandlers that have online catalogues for things like bilge pumps, so this you can research yourself.  Price will depend on size, flow rate, and whether you want it to have a float switch, (or equivalent electronic switch), that automatically turns it on as water rises around it.

Exhausts on the other hand tend to be highly bespoke to a boat.  Even if you buy a ready made one, it is unlikely you will find one that is an exact match to your old, and biggest problem maybe needing to modify pipework.

You have not indicated if you think you are competant to do work like that yourself, or need someone to do (for exanple) the exhaust swap as a professional job.  If the latter, the labour element may be more than you are expecting, but may also depend on where you are.  (In my experience the closer to London, the more it costs!).

I have no tech skills with engines lol 

They are doing the work just wanted to check on prices like a rough idea for them to do the work I'm in bham area and have to get this marina to do the work as we broke down in the middle of the cut 

Just now, Tatguy said:

Hi just picked up our boat sailed back on river was awesome 

Got near our destination and ran into problems 

Exhaust needs replacing 

Water pump seals have gone 

Need new bilge pump 

and need a wire from battery to leasure battery  so it can charge 

Any idea of the cost of this roughly 

It's a thorny craft engine 1.8 Ltd

Thanks tat

In round figures I'd say

Exhaust parts £300
Water pump £150
Bilge pump £50

Plus say ten hours labour to fabricate the custom exhaust and fit the bilge and water pumps. Say £400 all plus VAT.

The bit about fitting a wire to charge the domestic batteries is not right. The wiring and relay is probably already in place but something has failed. Say another three or four hours to investigate, diagnose and fix.   

As an illustration of how exhaust prices can vary: when we had our engine replaced 3 years ago, a complete new exhaust system for it cost just under £100 (fitted). However it proved unsatisfactory and we had to have a custom one built and fitted last year to replace it. The bill for the custom one was a little over £800

What's wrong with the exhaust? If it's just a straight silencer replacement that needn't be expensive.

If it's an old shurflo water pump, it sounds like it is, the cost of a new one is £80-100 but fitting it might involve a bit of replumbing so £150 for someone to supply and fit.

Bilge pump forty quid plus fitting - you have a lot of water in the bilge presumably?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I took the OP to mean the seals on the BMC engine water pump had failed. This means bearing failure and a new BMC water pump.

Yeah, re-reading it that makes sense, I'm just obsessed with fresh water pumps at the moment.  I should get out more.   

OK yes we're stuck at a marina just wanted to get an idea of the pricing they have been really nice explained loads 

The exhaust was from a car!! Wrapped in wadding 

So exhaust needed 

They have ordered the water pump seals on engine 

and fixing the bilge pump and placing in right place 

Will let you know how I get on 

Tat

P.s thanks for help 

3 hours ago, Tatguy said:

OK yes we're stuck at a marina just wanted to get an idea of the pricing they have been really nice explained loads 

The exhaust was from a car!! Wrapped in wadding 

So exhaust needed 

They have ordered the water pump seals on engine 

and fixing the bilge pump and placing in right place 

Will let you know how I get on 

Tat

P.s thanks for help 

Who is doing the work?

Just for your info, in case you try to look the engine up online:  the name of the supplier is spelt Thornycroft, as in the famous shipbuilders, and the big pre-war lorries. (Different companies, same founder).  They used to convert and supply BMC/Leyland engines, and now sell canalboat engines based on a Mitsubishi.