Empty Paint Tins

Featured Posts

Just now, system 4-50 said:

Does anybody know where you can get empty paint tins?

I have stockpiled a number of 2.5L high VOC tins of paint that I would like to use in smaller quantities. Ideally I would like to decant them into smaller tins. 

What about jam/honey jars.  You'll need to empty the contents first tho, but you can get empty ones from such home places.

• Greenie 1

I much prefer jam jars for this. You can see what colour paint is inside, and you can match the jar size to the amount of paint you need to store. Doritos dips are good if you want to get a big brush in.  Can sometimes be hard to get the lids off but a metal hoop type oil filter remover is prefect for stubborn lids (and for removing oil filters).

.................Dave

I get my jars from the local pound shop, as been mentioned the colour can easily be seen through the glass and the paint is kept in good nick.

I store mine upside down so no air can get in although I make sure the lids are on tight or else it can get messy.

An alternative is old coffee jars that have been cleaned out.

This is the trouble these day's. We're more or less forced to buy more than we need at that present moment. 750mil tins of paint when you only need a cupful for a certain job. Big tubes of mastic too when you only want a squirt of one to complete a job. There must be millions of tins of old paint and mastic tubes knocking about nearly full but gone hard and useless with time, just because small tins and tubes are not commonly available anymore, an enormous, gigantic and disgusting wastage.   The same goes for certain foods and a huge amount of domestic items too.  Toilet rolls for example. you have to buy at least four, often six instead of just one like years ago. I only need one at a time as I only have one bum.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

This is the trouble these day's. We're more or less forced to buy more than we need at that present moment. 750mil tins of paint when you only need a cupful for a certain job. Big tubes of mastic too when you only want a squirt of one to complete a job. There must be millions of tins of old paint and mastic tubes knocking about nearly full but gone hard and useless with time, just because small tins and tubes are not commonly available anymore, an enormous, gigantic and disgusting wastage.   The same goes for certain foods and a huge amount of domestic items too.  Toilet rolls for example. you have to buy at least four, often six instead of just one like years ago. I only need one at a time as I only have one bum.

This explains why, in my entire adult life, I have never made it to the bottom of a tin of paint.  I just had a quick head count and I have fifteen part used tins on my boat.  

8 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

This explains why, in my entire adult life, I have never made it to the bottom of a tin of paint.  I just had a quick head count and I have fifteen part used tins on my boat.  

Same here.

28 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Does your surplus toilet paper go hard and useless with time then?

Just now, David Mack said:

Does your surplus toilet paper go hard and useless with time then?

Not if I've been eating me fruit and veg, but if I've been on a diet of eggs, yes.     A lorry load of plums was stolen in Romford today. Police are looking for two men on the run.

• Greenie 1

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 14:51, system 4-50 said:

Does anybody know where you can get empty paint tins?

I have stockpiled a number of 2.5L high VOC tins of paint that I would like to use in smaller quantities. Ideally I would like to decant them into smaller tins. 

http://www.ardaghgroup.com/

:)

On 23 March 2017 at 20:36, bizzard said:

I only have one bum.

Preparedness is everything, would have thought a man of wisdom like your good self would always carry a spare bum

Edited by Bewildered