Lino for back cabin floor

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I realised immediately after I'd posted my reply that the 12 inch tiles could be reduced in size, but I also realised that , as my cabin floor is in 3 sections, sticking down tiles which almost certainly wouldn't match up with the floor panels, wasn't really a viable option.

I have relayed floor tiles with more complicated patterns on floors with several hatches and managed to match the patterns on each section.

Thinking about it, I have certainly used 12" sq. vinyl tiles with a four square black and white pattern giving 6" x 6" squares if that size is any use.

George ex nb Alton retired

11 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

OWL21.JPG.bf4f507947aa0cabb0323c3faaef7a81.JPG

Among my photos I've just come across this.  I can't remember the source of the picture (let me know if there are copyright issues).

It seems that you can use whatever lino is at hand. 

This appeared in an issue of Waterways World back in the - eighties? Featuring traditional cabin painting. I have a copy lurking somewhere . . .

That is indeed FRIENDSHIP's cabin after the Skinners had departed.

Edited by Derek R.

On 21/03/2017 at 23:02, monkeyhanger said:

I spoke to an ex-working boatman friend for his opinion on back cabin lino, and he couldn't give me a definitive answer, so he asked a few of his ex-boatman friends. Again, the answers seemed to be "unsure", until one person came up with the solution. The lino you used was "whatever you could get off the skip."

This caused me to think. I had assumed that the "traditional" back cabin pattern was black and white squares, but in my childhood in the 50s and 60s we had chequer pattern lino in the bathroom at home, which was, by the way, about a hundred miles from the nearest canal.

Perhaps the tradition of chequered lino in back cabin began in the 50s and 60s, when that was what land dwellers were putting in their homes as it was fashionable at the time, and disposing of small offcuts which the boaters could pick up and use. Any thoughts?

Edited to say Pluto  beat me to it.

The cabins on our pair in working times was lino that had been removed from the Talbot pub in Mk Drayton when it was refurbished, there was enough that had very little wear having been under furniture etc It was light & a darker gray,  covered in the table cupboard area with a rag rug A thing Iv'e noticed on some ex working boats the range is in effect the wrong way around the oven being on the right as you look at the range rather than being on the left I remember when I first started boating an old boatman said " Yome want the oven ont" the foot board side of your range or the fire ont' the wrong un's happen catch your'e foot board a fire"

The double walled brown paper sacks that grocers shops took deliveries in bulk to decant in to smaller amounts were very useful, cut down each side & opened out to double their length depending on the bags they were either more or less the correct width or almost & were very useful for prolonged wet weather or a section of muddy tow path multiple layers of news paper also were used if it could be obtained for free, certain canalside property's the owners used to bundle up old news print & pass it on Back in the day eye was kept out for anything that could be used/altered/adapted  & to a perform  a non designed use, the over riding thing being was it free I think today it would be easier to adopt this as now days it's a much more a dispose of /throw away society than it was back then.

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

The double walled brown paper sacks that grocers shops took deliveries in bulk to decant in to smaller amounts were very useful, cut down each side & opened out to double their length depending on the bags they were either more or less the correct width or almost & were very useful for prolonged wet weather or a section of muddy tow path multiple layers of news paper also were used if it could be obtained for free, certain canalside property's the owners used to bundle up old news print & pass it on Back in the day eye was kept out for anything that could be used/altered/adapted  & to a perform  a non designed use, the over riding thing being was it free I think today it would be easier to adopt this as now days it's a much more a dispose of /throw away society than it was back then.

I have been told that opened out brown cardboard boxes were used on the floor in rainy weather. Much the same as we used to have inside our back door at home in the north east in the 50s.

Newspapers wrapped around the body under a sweater would provide extra insulation, despatch riders would use that ruse before modern thermals were created. And animal meal bags with three layers of paper could be cut into waistcoats: two holes for the arms and one for the head - just the job for a date to the pictures - but mostly for driving little Fergy's when the spreader was loaded with chicken sh**.

4 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

I have been told that opened out brown cardboard boxes were used on the floor in rainy weather. Much the same as we used to have inside our back door at home in the north east in the 50s.

Yes they would be used if available ( & free) in fact most any thing,just that when we went to the shop/s if we bought a few items we would ask if they had a bag to put the things in, even as late as the mid 60's there were shops that wouldn't serve you if they knew you were a boater, bit difficult to argue due to the dress code, so you had your regular shopping places if the shop was close to the cut & if there was a lock close at hand you could get your supplies with the boat/s in the lock with possibly a single half drawn up/down hill paddle & return to the lock in time for it to be full/empty.Going up hill if the motor was in forward gear you sometimes had to hurry as the boat/pair would push the gate/s open & be on it's merry way along the next pound  with crew scrabbling to get from butty to motor. There used to be a shop between the main road & Wardle lock on the Middlewich branch that was just aboui spot on for a lock filling time that gave you time enough to go/ shop/& return as the engine 'ole' doors were passing the top gate, had to be single motor working for this.

19 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

That is the look I was hoping for!

Glad to help, it appears to be the smallest squares available. It took a lot of searching for ! I seem to remember it worked out better to buy a two metre width, so will have enough for next time. Cheap wallpaper makes an excellent template, as this material isn't easy to cut in situ.

This is from Michael Ware's Narrow Boats at Work and suggests that not only is diagonal desirable, but that it should be deployed on every possible surface.

IMG_1181.JPG

I found some offcuts of 4" diagaonal squares at Barnsley Market in 2006, but could only get straight 4" squares for Chertsey's back cabin, and that from a shop in Penkridge that has now closed down.

IMG_1178.JPG

In the hold we now have 6" diagonal squares. I'm hoping we can still get that; I want it for the kitchen in my house!