gallery images

Featured Posts

On 21/03/2017 at 17:06, Señor Chris said:

Adblock Plus Chrome extension is your friend. Click on the ABP icon on the toolbar and select 'Block element', then select the page element you wish to block. Works for the Filter Bar and the Gallery.

Can you post us the eelement / URL to block, I can't get to it from iPad, but I can use it to add to 1Block

As usual I am swimming against the tide.  I like them.  However I can see that if you use mobile devices as your method of viewing the forum then they may be a problem.  But then again I can't understand why anyone would use a smaller screen unless they absolutely have to.

15 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As usual I am swimming against the tide.  I like them.  However I can see that if you use mobile devices as your method of viewing the forum then they may be a problem.  But then again I can't understand why anyone would use a smaller screen unless they absolutely have to.

I'm glad I'm not alone! On my tablet they take up a small amount of space and on my phone i can't see them unless i scroll right down. On a WiFi connection nowadays so not sure about the bandwidth issue, which i accept may be a problem for those out on the cut.

I only view on the tablet or phone and I welcome them.

15 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I just hope the admin team will have read this thread and noted the almost universal demands for them to be removed

Those who protest loudly do not always reflect the opinions of the majority Allan, in fact those that are happy with how things are or indifferent are far less likely to comment.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Ange said:

I'm glad I'm not alone! On my tablet they take up a small amount of space and on my phone i can't see them unless i scroll right down. On a WiFi connection nowadays so not sure about the bandwidth issue, which i accept may be a problem for those out on the cut.

Why?

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Why?

Why what?

Sorry a few edits while i tried to make sense of a puzzling question.

Why am I viewing on just a tablet or phone.

Why am i happy.

Why is there so much poverty when we have so much.

Why wasn't I born to a wealthy family

Why can't you lose weight by eating chocolate and ice cream

Why?

Edited by Ange

10 hours ago, Robbo said:

Can you post us the eelement / URL to block, I can't get to it from iPad, but I can use it to add to 1Block

Just seen 1Blocker has been updated and it's now easy to block elements from the iPad/iPhone itself.  I would recommend it for any iPad / phone user to block ads and annoying elements like the gallery images sidebar

8 hours ago, Ange said:

Surely a Canal forum whose format is deliberately made to be "a problem for those out on the cut" is illogical. I spend up to 6 months of the year actually travelling, without access to WiFi and having only a small mobile data allowance, often seeing only a slow connection. My phone is then my only way of seeing the Forum and i need it to be as convenient as possible.

Do you really welcome them on the phone screen (as opposed to the tablet)? They are effectively only a few strips of coloured decoration at the foot of the page, to be ignored.

• Greenie 1

If the gallery pictures were at the bottom of the page, as they are when I use my phone, they would annoy me less. I'm really not interested in seeing a photo of RichM's laptop. At home I use Wi-Fi and my laptop, and data usage is not an issue. But at work I don't have Wi-Fi available, so I will no longer be looking at the forum during lunch time, as I always have done previously.

So it's not just people out on their boats who are affected by this issue.

I have removed them from Activity Streams. They have been reduced to 3 on the main page and have been resized to 200px. I hope this is seen as a reasonable compromise bearing in mind 5x Gallery Images were displayed horizontally for years prior to the upgrade and as such, we have reduced the number of images displayed. We are looking into implementing a plugin to allow users to hide it if they wish.

RichM

39 minutes ago, RichM said:

I have removed them from Activity Streams. They have been reduced to 3 on the main page and have been resized to 200px. I hope this is seen as a reasonable compromise bearing in mind 5x Gallery Images were displayed horizontally for years prior to the upgrade and as such, we have reduced the number of images displayed. We are looking into implementing a plugin to allow users to hide it if they wish.

RichM

Gallery images were only displayed on the Home/main page prior to the upgrade though, not on the VN. Glad they're gone from the VNC now!

• Greenie 1

On 24/03/2017 at 09:26, Robbo said:

How now mine looks with 1Blocker blocking the elements I care not about...

This is with the Filter Bar and a few other annoyances blocked - almost back to normal!

AdBlock Plus custom filter:

canalworld.net###elStreamFilterForm
canalworld.net##.ipsPad_half
canalworld.net##.ipsStreamItem_time
canalworld.net##.ipsStreamItem_contentType

NewContent.jpg