gallery images

Featured Posts

Thanks for the feedback: Rather than have two gallery streams we thought we would try by replacing it with one at the side. The reason we have them is partly because it gives a visual identity to the forum and we'd like to promote the use of the Gallery.

Previous gallery stream: (x2):

cwdfv42017.png

10 minutes ago, RichM said:

Thanks for the feedback: Rather than have two gallery streams we thought we would try by replacing it with one at the side. The reason we have them is partly because it gives a visual identity to the forum and we'd like to promote the use of the Gallery.

Previous gallery stream: (x2):

is there any way to hide the gallery its annoying as its always there and makes the screen smaller

Edited by GoodGurl

I don't see the need for gallery images to be part of the forum main page.  They are a distraction and take up a lot of space, and presumably data download capacity.  It wouldn't be so bad if the pictures were appropriate, but a minute or two in the gallery will show you there is a lot of trash there.  Many pictures are uploaded to the gallery to make it easy to insert in a thread and are only relevant to that particular subject.

Maybe there could be an option to show gallery images if you want to see them, but I would rather not have them thrown at me.

12 minutes ago, dor said:

I don't see the need for gallery images to be part of the forum main page.  They are a distraction and take up a lot of space, and presumably data download capacity.  It wouldn't be so bad if the pictures were appropriate, but a minute or two in the gallery will show you there is a lot of trash there.  Many pictures are uploaded to the gallery to make it easy to insert in a thread and are only relevant to that particular subject.

Maybe there could be an option to show gallery images if you want to see them, but I would rather not have them thrown at me.

I agree and would much prefer to be able to choose whether they are visible or not.

I actually quite like it. I don't normally see the gallery, viewing new posts being my default - when the images first appeared I thought great i like this.

Viewing on a tablet - maybe I'll have a different view tomorrow when i view on my phone :)

Edited by Ange

3 hours ago, Ange said:

I actually quite like it. I don't normally see the gallery, viewing new posts being my default - when the images first appeared I thought great i like this.

Viewing on a tablet - maybe I'll have a different view tomorrow when i view on my phone :)

You are ok on a phone as you don't get them, and it is not so bad on a PC where you have lots of screen real estate.  But on a iPad it is horrible as it make the piece of useless text that you get under each thread title on view new content wrap to 2 lines, so you get even less useful stuff on the screen at ones as we still have the ridiculously sized logo at the top which takes up half the screen.

I definitely don't like seeing them on the View New Content page when on my phone or tablet (contrary to John6767's post above, I do get them on my phone) not least because they waste a lot of my meagre mobile data allowance. Strangely enough I don't mind them too much on the PC, but then for that i have unlimited data and a large screen, but i don't actually welcome them I just ignore them.

So i'm also in the "No" camp.

I find gallery pictures are a pain, a bit like when yer mates used to try to show you their holiday fotos, remember those days? You had probably been there anyway and why do you want to see someone elses pics?

• Greenie 2

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I find gallery pictures are a pain, a bit like when yer mates used to try to show you their holiday fotos, remember those days? You had probably been there anyway and why do you want to see someone elses pics?

I got told off for being rude when I said this.☺

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

I definitely don't like seeing them on the View New Content page when on my phone or tablet (contrary to John6767's post above, I do get them on my phone) not least because they waste a lot of my meagre mobile data allowance. Strangely enough I don't mind them too much on the PC, but then for that i have unlimited data and a large screen, but i don't actually welcome them I just ignore them.

So i'm also in the "No" camp.

I guess it is down to the resolution of your phone, which must be more akin to an iPad Mini in that respect, and you get the same skin as desktop ion your phone rather than the cut down one that I see on both iPhone 5 and 6.

Not sure I get why CWDF wants to get into the business of hosting images though, perhaps the site crew could enlighten us to the strategy here?

Thanks for the feedback.

To those reporting display issues on smaller screens, would you mind posting a screenshot as I'm unable to replicate this. I'm using an older iPhone 6 and a 15" laptop.

We have had gallery image streams for years. The only difference is that on the main index page, we now have one gallery stream rather than two which also appears on the Activity Streams. Amongst other things, it provides some visual identity which we would be lacking if it wasn't for the streams.

Thanks

RichM

Just now, RichM said:

I'm unable to replicate this.

The website page dynamically resizes according to the dimensions of the window, so on a normal computer, resize the browser window to vary the horizontal and vertical size and step through several variations of what is/isn't displayed at each particular resolution.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I guess it is down to the resolution of your phone, which must be more akin to an iPad Mini in that respect, and you get the same skin as desktop ion your phone rather than the cut down one that I see on both iPhone 5 and 6.

Not sure I get why CWDF wants to get into the business of hosting images though, perhaps the site crew could enlighten us to the strategy here?

No, I definitely get a different skin on each of my PC, my tablet, and my phone. The difference on the phone (which you may not have noticed, I didn't at first) is that all these images appear right at the bottom, below the text threads, so you only see them if you scroll down. That means that of course you can easily ignore them  I just resent using up all my data allowance on images that I have no intention of viewing.

Just now, RichM said:

Thanks for the feedback.

To those reporting display issues on smaller screens, would you mind posting a screenshot as I'm unable to replicate this. I'm using an older iPhone 6 and a 15" laptop.

We have had gallery image streams for years. The only difference is that on the main index page, we now have one gallery stream rather than two which also appears on the Activity Streams. Amongst other things, it provides some visual identity which we would be lacking if it wasn't for the streams.

Thanks

RichM

Certainly I have no display resolution problems. On the PC it is just a waste of space but I can happily live with it. On the phone and tablet it wastes data. I don't mind the gallery being on the Home Page (I never use that anyway) but on the VNC page it is definitely undesirable.

43 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The website page dynamically resizes according to the dimensions of the window, so on a normal computer, resize the browser window to vary the horizontal and vertical size and step through several variations of what is/isn't displayed at each particular resolution.

By resizing the window width until the images disappear from the side and going to http://www.rapidtables.com/web/tools/window-size.htm you can find the width it is switching on, which I think could be widths less than 794.

44 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

No, I definitely get a different skin on each of my PC, my tablet, and my phone. The difference on the phone (which you may not have noticed, I didn't at first) is that all these images appear right at the bottom, below the text threads, so you only see them if you scroll down. That means that of course you can easily ignore them  I just resent using up all my data allowance on images that I have no intention of viewing.

You are right I had not seen them down the bottom of the page, not very good at all.

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Tried doing that - looks fine to me. Though I appreciate we all have different perspectives and I guess this is largely a subjective matter. I would still appreciate any screenshots showing what people are not happy with.

I would agree with other posters that the gallery, on the side or the bottom is unwanted, especially as the photos are chopped and not seen as posted.  It appears that the top and bottom of each photo has been truncated.  I'm sorry to disagree but why does CWDF need a visual identity?  Its soul is in the words, not the look.

Edited by mross
  • Greenie 2

On my phone I get something like this at the bottom of my VNC view.

I can't see the point in receiving narrow slices of the original photos, or of incurring the mobile cost and sometimes download delay of loading photos I don't need.

Making the gallery a user choice would be good move IMO. 

Edited by David Mack
For some reason I am unable to include the image
  • Greenie 1

I find the images annoying on my phone. As well as using up my data allowance they are too small to be seen properly 

I have never looked at them and certainly wouldn't miss them if they are not there 

Haggis