My cat has gone missing, strange dead animal found what is it?!

Simon and Pu

Featured Posts

Just now, Dave_P said:

Mine one survived its first dunking but not the second.  Now the case is quite old and battered and I doubt it's in any way splashproof now.

You can still get the collar case thing for the old tags, but not the tags themselves by the looks of it :(

I have some experience with gps trackers (putting it mildly) and I have yet to find a true gps tracker that is suitable for cats, they are all just too bulky for a cat (dogs are a different matter as they tend to wear bigger collars).

however I have experienced 3 different mad cat ladies, one of which was very irate that I wouldn't add her cats to our tracking since we "must be able to track them using the microchip the vet put in"

On 20/03/2017 at 22:38, Simon and Pu said:

Cat is found.   4 hours he was gone and I went out for one more look. And he was close to the dead deer. He's begging to go back out now.  But he's on total lock down.  Don't get the the Tile tracker as its not great with a 100 ft range 

Excellent news, so pleased he's back!  He was probably just having a nose around the deer - cats and curiosity are a well known combination ^_^  Do you have netting from your boat in case he falls in the cut? 

One of my mogs keeps managing to get himself shut in one of the outbuildings, where I store my hen's food.  He is always nosing for mice in there (not difficult to find) and then when I let him out, acts like I dumped him 1000 miles away and made him walk home!  

31 minutes ago, Amber34 said:

Excellent news, so pleased he's back!  He was probably just having a nose around the deer - cats and curiosity are a well known combination ^_^  Do you have netting from your boat in case he falls in the cut? 

One of my mogs keeps managing to get himself shut in one of the outbuildings, where I store my hen's food.  He is always nosing for mice in there (not difficult to find) and then when I let him out, acts like I dumped him 1000 miles away and made him walk home!  

You could put a cat flap on the outbuilding that only opens one way so he can get out if he inside.

Edited by Robbo

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/03/2017 at 09:29, JJPHG said:

Yes - they are not really trackers in the true sense and the marketing is a bit on the creative side but I have found them invaluable in finding my keys and wallet around the house - especially when I'm in a rush and just can't seem to find them.  Using them on pets though - well not as a tracker but as a training aid.  We used ours to train the cats to come in in the evenings by activating them (whilst they were wearing them) and getting them (the tile) to play their little tune.  They don't wear tiles anymore and all I need to do now is go out with my keys and activate the tile - if they are in hearing range they come running in.

the bluetooth trackers are a waste of time for pets, fine for keys and the likes. Pod2 or tabcat tracker are meant to be good for actually tracking pets according to this: http://www.tuxedo-cat.co.uk/best-cat-trackers/

We've got a Tractive for our Cocker Spaniel. It's quite big on her, so would be even bigger on a cat. However, I'd rather a biggish GPS tracker than lose her, (or a cat if we had a cat).

Battery lasts about 3 days ,- with it checking in every so often. If you activate Live Tracking it sends the position every few seconds for about 10 minutes, and uses more battery.

about £50 and about £50 for a years subscription.

You might be able to get smaller versions for cats?