Canal World

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Billw

Falkirk Wheel Closing to Boats?

59 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

So.., they're lying :)

There, that was simple...

Was that deduction based on an equal weighting being given to my observations 1 – 5 .......... or on 5 alone?

Just curious!

Of course nothing in life is cut and dried ........... or black and white for that matter: added by way of a disclaimer.

13 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Was that deduction based on an equal weighting being given to my observations 1 – 5 .......... or on 5 alone?

It totalled 15 actually, 5 factorial. ;)

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It totalled 15 actually, 5 factorial. ;)

I knew I shouldn't have asked ...........

6 hours ago, Peter X said:

Totally off topic, but 5 factorial is 120

I was adding them ;)

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That's 5 sigma

Indeed it is :)

19 hours ago, Iain_S said:

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/news/statement-capercaillie-cruisers/

Scottish Canals' statement re Capercaillie 

A lesson too often overlooked by public bodies, especially those in a near monopolistic position: you can push so far in reducing charges or increasing prices, but if the other party has no obligatio other than to make a profit (whether for owners or shareholders) then if pushed too far they will simply stop playing the game. See it before especially in services that are difficult to replace.

Happening in a big way with care homes - for too long the Government (although it hides behind the local authorities but actually pulls the strings) has paid below costs, leaving private operators to cross subsidise from private clients. We are now in a near catastrophic melt down as many providers are just handing back their public contracts. 

Interesting to note that Trump has mis-judged the American mood: he put the abolition of Obamacare in order to fund tax cuts at the forefront of his election campaign and at that stage it worked. However, 24 million people (not to mention their relatives that would have to help out with cash) have now realised what it all means and are in revolt - although the well-off may yet win out.