Falkirk Wheel Closing to Boats?

Billw

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

So.., they're lying :)

There, that was simple...

Was that deduction based on an equal weighting being given to my observations 1 – 5 .......... or on 5 alone?

Just curious!

Of course nothing in life is cut and dried ........... or black and white for that matter: added by way of a disclaimer.

13 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Was that deduction based on an equal weighting being given to my observations 1 – 5 .......... or on 5 alone?

It totalled 15 actually, 5 factorial. ;)

19 hours ago, Iain_S said:

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/news/statement-capercaillie-cruisers/

Scottish Canals' statement re Capercaillie 

A lesson too often overlooked by public bodies, especially those in a near monopolistic position: you can push so far in reducing charges or increasing prices, but if the other party has no obligatio other than to make a profit (whether for owners or shareholders) then if pushed too far they will simply stop playing the game. See it before especially in services that are difficult to replace.

Happening in a big way with care homes - for too long the Government (although it hides behind the local authorities but actually pulls the strings) has paid below costs, leaving private operators to cross subsidise from private clients. We are now in a near catastrophic melt down as many providers are just handing back their public contracts. 

Interesting to note that Trump has mis-judged the American mood: he put the abolition of Obamacare in order to fund tax cuts at the forefront of his election campaign and at that stage it worked. However, 24 million people (not to mention their relatives that would have to help out with cash) have now realised what it all means and are in revolt - although the well-off may yet win out.

• Greenie 1

On 25/03/2017 at 12:22, Mike Todd said:

A lesson too often overlooked by public bodies, especially those in a near monopolistic position: you can push so far in reducing charges or increasing prices, but if the other party has no obligatio other than to make a profit (whether for owners or shareholders) then if pushed too far they will simply stop playing the game. See it before especially in services that are difficult to replace.

Happening in a big way with care homes - for too long the Government (although it hides behind the local authorities but actually pulls the strings) has paid below costs, leaving private operators to cross subsidise from private clients. We are now in a near catastrophic melt down as many providers are just handing back their public contracts. 

Interesting to note that Trump has mis-judged the American mood: he put the abolition of Obamacare in order to fund tax cuts at the forefront of his election campaign and at that stage it worked. However, 24 million people (not to mention their relatives that would have to help out with cash) have now realised what it all means and are in revolt - although the well-off may yet win out.

An interesting and, I believe, a very valid observation Mike. This highlights the bigger picture that SC might do well to reflect upon.

To be fair, the "Rotate" scheme doesn't change the use of a navigational asset. The only modification to the wheel itself will be provision of pedestrian access from the shore to one caisson, and the wheel will still be capable of being operated to full capacity if the floating "people pod"is removed. 

18 hours ago, Iain_S said:

To be fair, the "Rotate" scheme doesn't change the use of a navigational asset. The only modification to the wheel itself will be provision of pedestrian access from the shore to one caisson, and the wheel will still be capable of being operated to full capacity if the floating "people pod"is removed. 

I take your point Iain but the detailed modelling undertaken by LUCS (it doesn't seem to have occurred to SC that this would be the sensible starting point in assessing the impact of the scheme on boating) clearly demonstrates that capacity through the Wheel is severely reduced, especially for wide beams. I would regard this in itself as a change in the design capability/capacity.

SC have indicated that the pod will only be removed occasionally and not on a regular basis to, say, accommodate hire boat turn around at weekends and their return from Edinburgh early to mid-week. Of course with the enforced demise of hire boating on the Lowland Canals this will soon cease to be an issue.

13 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Could you elaborate ......... ?

I'm wondering if each side is pushing things as far as they dare in the expectation that a last-minute compromise will be found. It's purely a question, I have zero knowledge of either party. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I'm wondering if each side is pushing things as far as they dare in the expectation that a last-minute compromise will be found. It's purely a question, I have zero knowledge of either party. 

See what you mean. That's always got to be a possibility.

15 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

Here in Belgium the large boat lift and inclined plane in Wallony are free to use for leisure boaters

The hydraulic machinery was built by Cockerill et Cie, the Mr Cockerill who set up the business coming from Haslingden, where he was involved with textiles in the early 19th century. After settling in Belgium, IIRC, the family also had textile mills in Berlin and St Petersburg, though in Belgium they were best known as an engineering company.