Distance between Batteries and Bus Bars

jono2.0

Featured Posts

At the moment I have my leisure batteries sitting in their battery box in the engine bay.  Instead of having a neg and pos bus bar in the engine bay and loads of long cable lenghts, can anyone see any problem with me having the bus bars in the cabin under the inverter in an 'electrics' cupboard?

95mm cable between each 12v battery in parallel.
4x 110A Lead Acid Leasure Batteries
1x Victron 12/3000/120 Invertor Charger MultiPlus
Max load with washing machine at 240v 2.4kw for very short period, especially as I will feed water via thermostatic valve at around 20 degrees c to reduce heating element.

Then around 1.8m - 2m 95mm cable from leisure batteries (via fuse and heavy duty isolation switch close to batteries) to bus bars.
Two Heavy Duty Copper Bus Bars in electrics cupboard with M8 bolts
50mm cable from Neg Bus bar to engine earth and then another one 50mm from engine earth to hull grounding. (I realise this may be over the top thickness but I have some available)

Thanks Jono

Just now, WotEver said:

Sounds good to me. I presume the inverter has its own feed and it's not coming off the bus bars?

no, I wanted to keep the cabling to an absolute minimum from the batteries and engine bay into cabin through bulkhead. I was wanting to have just one big thick 95mm cable for pos and one for neg to bus bar.  It's not a cheap thin and flimsy bus bar, it's more heavy duty than the inverter connectors if you ask me.  

In the industry I used to work in it was normal practice to connect bus bars directly to batteries and inverter outputs.

On a boat I would use a short length of suitably rated cable between the bus bars and battery or inverter terminations to minimise the effects of vibration.