Broken Windows : Star City

Iain_S

Featured Posts

Currently moored at Star City on the B.C.N..

The boat in front of us, Rosie Day, Index 503 967, has two broken windows on the offside, and two at the cratch.

Reported to CaRT, and posted here in case owner is a forumite, or anyone knows owner.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Currently moored at Star City on the B.C.N..

The boat in front of us, Rosie Day, Index 503 967, has two broken windows on the offside, and two at the cratch.

Reported to CaRT, and posted here in case owner is a forumite, or anyone knows owner.

I'd be interested to know the history of that damage, whether it was accidental or otherwise. We came through there on 8th March and the workboat was moored there whilst they were fixing the pontoon, no-one else was there but I'd always thought that was a reasonable mooring. We'd overnighted at Cuckoo Wharf which felt better since there were a number of other boats moored there.

I stopped there once, was very pleased to find it as several earlier places I had intended to moor were already full up & by the time I came across it it had been dark for a couple of hours. It was the only bit along there that wasnt covered in graffiti. Plus it was on the non towpath side with a locked gate for access (although it wouldnt be too difficult to climb over the fence.) I felt nice & safe there, & I'm used to mooring in the centre of a 200k pop town.

Not accidental damage I would say 

Broken windows on other side of boat from the pontoon could be caused by stones thrown from the towpath but the front facing ones would have to be smashed by someone standing in the bows. I believe there is security here but none of the damage is visible from the barrier fence 

Haggis 

I took a closer look, and there is a small dent on the frame of one of the front cratch windows. There are also two small pieces of broken brick on the front deck. I suspect a catapult, from the towpath side (opposite). I think the damage must have happened here, as there is a lot of broken glass in the boat, and I don't see anyone cruising without clearing it up, or making some attempt to secure the boat, or make it rain proof.