Dog poo

Neil Smith

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

.......... agree.  

by the way, I was referring to Furnessvale's post when calling him names - no offence intended to Wotever.  :unsure:

Fine.  I'll be a goody goody, you leave your shit all over the place no problem!  If I stand in any I'll be sure to wipe it off on your boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

6 minutes ago, mross said:

As I understand it, control of dog poo is now down to individual Councils.  They have to issue Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs) 

IMO control of dog poo is down to individuals ...........

Some are responsible some are not.

20 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

by the way, I was referring to Furnessvale's post when calling him names - no offence intended to Wotever

I presumed that was the case. No offence taken :)

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Fine.  I'll be a goody goody, you leave your shit all over the place no problem!  If I stand in any I'll be sure to wipe it off on your boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

please don't make assumptions.  if you re-read your post you may just recognise the words of a sanctimonious saint (double saintly meaning intended).  :cloud9:

may God have mercy on you if you ever get distracted and miss seeing your pooch sh*tting in the undergrowth out of sight.

Edited by Murflynn

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

please don't make assumptions.  if you re-read your post you may just recognise the words of a sanctimonious saint (double saintly meaning intended).  :cloud9:

may God have mercy on you if you ever get distracted and miss seeing your pooch sh*tting in the undergrowth out of sight.

Whatever.

On 20/03/2017 at 22:26, bizzard said:

When we were kids playing in the street dogs poo strewn about was all part of the happy scene. It was everywhere, sometimes nice, fresh and steaming, sometimes like rocks, bleached white in the summer sun. We often slipped over on it whilst playing Hop Scotch and rolled in it when falling of our soap box carts. We could even identify which dog had done which out of all the jolly little dogs that were always trotting about. My sister used to make dog poo pies as well as mud pies. We loved it. Playing in the street wouldn't have been the same without it.

Did you die?

I have found that rather than buying bags specially marked up as dog poo bags it is far cheaper to buy nappy sacks from the baby isle in you local supermarket. Cheaper by far, biodegradable and scented. Although some supermarkets do very thin ones, we have found Tesco loves baby, nappy sacks to be sturdy enough and about a pound for 150. 

34 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I have found that rather than buying bags specially marked up as dog poo bags it is far cheaper to buy nappy sacks from the baby isle in you local supermarket. Cheaper by far, biodegradable and scented. Although some supermarkets do very thin ones, we have found Tesco loves baby, nappy sacks to be sturdy enough and about a pound for 150. 

i often use the waste food bags the bin man leaves ;)

44 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Does that mean if everybody used them all those tree "decorations" would eventually drop off and disappear!

Yep, and the poo would end up back where it started!

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not in the dog but on the ground. also is biodegradable really biodegradable or just drop into micro bits

As I understand it they break upp into small enough pieces to be broken down by flora and fauna but (and in some ways it is a big but) if used to go into land fill they will not degrade.  they require exposure to air and sun to degrade.

So yes the dog poo would just end up back on the ground perhaps a little rotted but some bags split and tear quickly if in air and sun.

Our council has made a big point that if using kitchen caddy bags to put food waste into our "green bins" (garden cuttings and food waste) we should only use 'Compostable' bags and not 'Biodegradable' bags. I guess it's the difference between something that will degrade out of sunlight and something that won't. 

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Our council has made a big point that if using kitchen caddy bags to put food waste into our "green bins" (garden cuttings and food waste) we should only use 'Compostable' bags and not 'Biodegradable' bags. I guess it's the difference between something that will degrade out of sunlight and something that won't. 

Most compostable bags I have l seen are brown paper so very probably you are right.

6 hours ago, Jerra said:

Most compostable bags I have l seen are brown paper so very probably you are right.

Actually we have two rolls which look identical, both are a kind of pale green plastic, but one is compostable and one is biodegradable. I have seen the paper ones though. 

22 hours ago, mross said:

As I understand it, control of dog poo is now down to individual Councils.  

Ah this is where I am going wrong, my dog has control of her own bowels and has not been applying to the council before producing any! I will attempt to re train her!

(In the mean time rest assured I will bag up the poos she produces without council permission and return it to the council via one of their dog poo bins!)

Use to play rugby years ago for a club that having outgrown the pitches owned, had to use a park area also used to graze cattle!!! I`ll leave the result to your imagination. I would add too that whilst dogs excrement is of no interest to anything you should watch the birds-especially rooks turning over the horse "deposits" in our fields. The worms certainly find it of value. Unlike dogs and cat food with fish and meat content-it stinks horse excrement from grass is not so offensive to some. Psychologically it`s just not pleasant -normally to "townies" 

Having been away from uk for 30 years i return to find a totally different culture. Selfishness seems to pervade. The population of dog lovers and dogs has increased many fold. The selfish mentality of dog lovers is much the same as smokers, they think everyone loves dogs and dogshit. Their mentality is questionable when it needs laws to stop 'intelligent' dog owners from poluting the pathways, byways and countryside. If dogs are so smart, train them to pick up their own poo or use a doggy litter like the cat does. Oh England, my England, what have they done to you?

• Greenie 1

In addition i,ve just spent last 20 years in an Islamic country where dogs are considered ' haram' , dirty, animals and so dog poo is non existant. When that culture reaches voting majority in the UK we may see an end to the dog poo debate. In the meantime lets work together to keep our towpaths clean. Woof !

6 hours ago, Irob said:

Having been away from uk for 30 years i return to find a totally different culture. Selfishness seems to pervade. The population of dog lovers and dogs has increased many fold. The selfish mentality of dog lovers is much the same as smokers, they think everyone loves dogs and dogshit. Their mentality is questionable when it needs laws to stop 'intelligent' dog owners from poluting the pathways, byways and countryside. If dogs are so smart, train them to pick up their own poo or use a doggy litter like the cat does. Oh England, my England, what have they done to you?

I remember as a kid,  well over 30 years ago, lots of dog poo in the streets. It used to turn into crumbly white as the dogs were given lots of bones then.

There were also no dog poo bags then.

This is nothing new.

Edited by matty40s