Dog poo

Neil Smith

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Bit of a rant I'm afraid but people still let there dogs foul the tow path without picking it up, even if they do some just hang bags of it on branches like trophies, and another thing i know its a crime to leave it and carries a big fine if caught but why is horse s__t ok to leave 

Neil

5 minutes ago, mross said:

horseshit doesn't carry Toxocariasis; it smells better; it's easier to see and avoid; horses don't crap on the pavement or in childrens play areas.  Plus, you would need  a bin liner to carry the stuff!

And then spread it round your roses <broken smileys>

7 minutes ago, mross said:

horseshit doesn't carry Toxocariasis; it smells better; it's easier to see and avoid; horses don't crap on the pavement or in childrens play areas.  Plus, you would need  a bin liner to carry the stuff!

Depends where you live. Still not nice to have it spread all over. Inc kid's areas.

Gets so bad around here you can't avoid horse shit out side the house. Then you need to check for dog shit on pavements. 

Not nice any kind of crap left. Just ignorant pillocks who think that they to good  to clean up after there  animals.

There is horse crap on the pavements in my village as mum or dad walk the kids on a lead rope on them so they don't walk in the road, they could even kick it into the verge or road but don't bother, and as they turn the street lights off at night now you tread in it on your way home from the pub then walk it on your carpet.

Neil

46 minutes ago, mross said:

Plus, you would need  a bin liner to carry the stuff!

In the days when horses were more common in built up areas a bucket and shovel was the prefered equipment and you raced to beat the neighbours who also wanted it for their garden.

37 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

There is horse crap on the pavements in my village as mum or dad walk the kids on a lead rope on them so they don't walk in the road, they could even kick it into the verge or road but don't bother, and as they turn the street lights off at night now you tread in it on your way home from the pub then walk it on your carpet.

Neil

Why don't the parents make sure their kids do their business before being taken out for a walk on a lead?  I think you'll find children's poo is not the same as horse droppings.    :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In the days when horses were more common in built up areas a bucket and shovel was the prefered equipment and you raced to beat the neighbours who also wanted it for their garden.

my dad used to send me out as soon as he heard the milkman's horse and cart coming down the road.

god old days .................  NOT  !! 

the dog poo managers that make me mad are those that bag it up for posterity and then leave it at the side of the footpath.   

Edited by Murflynn

The archaeologists of the future will find more plastic coated dog turds than rare coins, I suspect. I wonder what they will make of these hoards of badly preserved coprolites? 

2 hours ago, lulu fish said:

I fell off my scooter after hitting a horse shit.   I would've much rather stepped in dog poo

You might not have felt so happy about dog poo if you had had the experience our grandson had last time he visited our boat, running towards us he managed to slip, fall and land with his head on a pile of it-it was absolutely disgusting,  over his face and matted into his hair.

And what about cats crap, the always use someone elses garden and not their own then cover it up with earth so when you are tending your flower bed you get a hand full of the stuff, my mate use to watch next doors cat do it in his garden and after several attempts to get the owner to go round and pick it up and being told cats can go where want he bagged it up and left it on there door step.

Neil

7 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

And what about cats crap, the always use someone elses garden and not their own then cover it up with earth so when you are tending your flower bed you get a hand full of the stuff, my mate use to watch next doors cat do it in his garden and after several attempts to get the owner to go round and pick it up and being told cats can go where want he bagged it up and left it on there door step.

Neil

What he should have done was wrap it in newspaper and set it on fire before ringing the doorbell.. 

When we were kids playing in the street dogs poo strewn about was all part of the happy scene. It was everywhere, sometimes nice, fresh and steaming, sometimes like rocks, bleached white in the summer sun. We often slipped over on it whilst playing Hop Scotch and rolled in it when falling of our soap box carts. We could even identify which dog had done which out of all the jolly little dogs that were always trotting about. My sister used to make dog poo pies as well as mud pies. We loved it. Playing in the street wouldn't have been the same without it.

• Greenie 3

as someone who tries to be a responsible dog owner, its the seeing trees full of plastic bags full of the stuff that annoys me.     If you get some good quality 'PBs' (Poo Bags, much better to Shout "do we need any more PBs?" to SWMBO in Tesco's then anything else!), then picking it up and carrying it to where you can correctly dispose of it is part of the responsibilities of dog ownership.    

14 hours ago, jonathanA said:

What he should have done was wrap it in newspaper and set it on fire before ringing the doorbell.. 

Posting through the letter box, without any wrapper, is by far the best method of disposal.

George ex nb Alton retired

As a new dog owner, I spend a lot of time when out an about trying to work out if I should or should not pick up.

• In the local park, on hard ground, or any other built up area I will always pick up.
  • In the middle of nowhere, areas of low traffic, where tits not a sealed surface I leave it, ensuring it is off the path if required.

However the still leaves a lot of middle ground, where your left to make a calculated call on what is best, based on what other people around you who may be watching would think, if you are in an area where a fine might be applicable (typically, you are not, as far as I can see) as well as how much its likely to be an issue or more environmental, and also the proximity of a bin!

Daniel

16 minutes ago, DHutch said:

As a new dog owner, I spend a lot of time when out an about trying to work out if I should or should not pick up.

• In the local park, on hard ground, or any other built up area I will always pick up.
  • In the middle of nowhere, areas of low traffic, where tits not a sealed surface I leave it, ensuring it is off the path if required.

However the still leaves a lot of middle ground, where your left to make a calculated call on what is best, based on what other people around you who may be watching would think, if you are in an area where a fine might be applicable (typically, you are not, as far as I can see) as well as how much its likely to be an issue or more environmental, and also the proximity of a bin!

Daniel

One thing to bear in mind is there is some danger to grazing animals from dog faeces yet lots of dog owners don't think to pick up after their pets on farmland or open grazing.  You even see folk flicking it into fields from the towpath.  That aside, I think it's reasonable to consider when it's better to consign the stuff to landfill or allow it to rot naturally. 

25 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Daniel

I always pick up wherever I am, even in a rough field or woodland.

My dog's poo is alien to that environment so it goes in a bin.

George ex nb Alton retired

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

what a goody-goody :rolleyes:

I love (NOT) the pillocks who wander off into the undergrowth in a dense woodland, find the poo, bag it up, and thoughtfully leave the bag at the side of the footpath for the poo fairy to collect.

I guess they didn't get the memo about leaving nothing behind...