Progress on dock

rivergate

Featured Posts

I love this idea. It brings a whole new method of getting my boat fixed and I shall try it. 

Nb wotsit on dock next week. Come and visit the docking of my historic motor.

admission fee. Bag of oakum , bag of horseshit, barrel of tar. Feel free to assist.

carpenter with own elm tree particularly welcome.

enjoy the docking and don't have too many surprises .. There's usually one or two...

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I love this idea. It brings a whole new method of getting my boat fixed and I shall try it. 

Nb wotsit on dock next week. Come and visit the docking of my historic motor.

admission fee. Bag of oakum , bag of horseshit, barrel of tar. Feel free to assist.

carpenter with own elm tree particularly welcome.

enjoy the docking and don't have too many surprises .. There's usually one or two...

ISTR that when Marcus was on the telly a couple of years ago restoring Lady Doris he had a bevy of young ladies working on the boat for nothing more than bed and board.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

ISTR that when Marcus was on the telly a couple of years ago restoring Lady Doris he had a bevy of young ladies working on the boat for nothing more than bed and board.

Does one still have bevies in the 21st century?

End of Day 1 - docked, scrubbed and seams scrapped out :) ..one very tired boy ( and ok - Dad as well! :) )

...only one unexpected issue found and that's a structural fault in the plank at build rather than rott or damage so that's good really..   :) 

..hopefully we have a dry couple of days now...

PS - I have plenty of spare caulking irons so don't be shy :) 

DSC01593.JPG

DSC01594.JPG

DSC01595.JPG

DSC01598.JPG

DSC01600.JPG

Edited by rivergate

3 hours ago, rivergate said:

End of Day 1 - docked, scrubbed and seams scrapped out :) ..one very tired boy ( and ok - Dad as well! :) )

...only one unexpected issue found and that's a structural fault in the plank at build rather than rott or damage so that's good really..   :) 

..hopefully we have a dry couple of days now...

PS - I have plenty of spare caulking irons so don't be shy :) 

DSC01593.JPG

DSC01594.JPG

DSC01595.JPG

DSC01598.JPG

DSC01600.JPG

Are you going to chisel out & scarf in a thin piece of wood or a goodly amount of pitch & a metal tingle ?

If was me i would pitch it and plate it. To put a block in youll be either making the plank very thin by cutting a level depth cut out and make a very week spot and if you cut it out compleatly you may affect the strength of the bending of the plank it would be far better to clean out whats safe to pitch and plate it till you replace the plank. Just my 2p

Im not offering to cork! Ive had enough for 18 months.

Day 2

..half the caulking done, all materials on site to finish the docking and wrapped in blue plastic!  :)

Its a long plank on the swim and doesn't need to be replaced yet so its all the rott out, couple of small blocks back in with lots of calico, pitch and tin plate and it will be good for a few years yet :) 

...still time to get covered in tar people...?  Don't be shy....

8 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Are you doing the bottom seams too?

I was surprised towy was floating as some had no corking in just mud and i mean mud, now have corking.

Saw Towy today - looked nice and tidy :) ...Severn is nice as well :) .....

..there was an unnoticed fault in the plank originally installed - the grain was open on the bend..water ingress gradually worked in and not noticed I guess? until I found it this docking - tbh it actually all looked fine until a much close examination of the plank showed the rott beginning... such is life :) 

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 00:33, rivergate said:

Saw Towy today - looked nice and tidy :) ...Severn is nice as well :) .....

Towy looks a mess at the mo except for back cabin but still needs some tidying.