Battery doesn't seem to be charging

hackenbush

Featured Posts

There are many topics about this along with suggestions for how you can check the state of your batteries, alternator etc already on here. Why not do a search of the forum? In any case photos and/or a description of your setup are essential because there is no such thing as a "standard" installation.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On the other hand the engine (if modern) would also have overheated as the vee belt usually also runs the water pump. But yours didn't, so over to the experts...

I could have a second alternator for the domestic batteries with its own belt

I thought it was probably the alternator. Unfortunately I was in a rush when I checked the multimeter and didn't have time to have a proper look at the alternator. I have to say that when I was flicking the switch after turning the engine off I didn't notice anything untoward but then again I wasn;t thinking anything was wrong at that point

6 minutes ago, hackenbush said:

I thought it was probably the alternator. Unfortunately I was in a rush when I checked the multimeter and didn't have time to have a proper look at the alternator. I have to say that when I was flicking the switch after turning the engine off I didn't notice anything untoward but then again I wasn;t thinking anything was wrong at that point

So do you have twin alternators?

Thanks. Then as said firstly check the belt (although that's unlikely to be the culprit) then check all connections at the alternator. After that it's likely to be the alternator itself. 

39 minutes ago, hackenbush said:

I searched forum under 'battery not charging' and didn't seem to get any answers that fitted my problem although I'm not the brightest sparkplug when it comes to these things

Wot? There are a million "my battery isnt charging/holding a charge/doing the Watusi threads. OK, given the mystery light hinting at problems then i would get the alternator checked first. Then the leisure battery if the alternator is OK. Next step is to change the Dilithium crystals. Hayever, if the starter battery is taking and holding a charge then its prolly the leisure battery that is us or your Smartgauge, alternator controller or Owl is pecked, in which case call Harry Potter.

Edited by Stewart Kirby

44 minutes ago, Stewart Kirby said:

my battery isnt charging

25 minutes ago, hackenbush said:

something I could replace or would that be dicing with death?

Attempting to find answers already in the forum, strangely with no real luck so far. Could I test the alternator by attaching my mulitmeter to the leisure battery, starting the engine and seeing if the readings shoot up or not (as with a car)?

Edited by hackenbush

3 minutes ago, hackenbush said:

something I could replace or would that be dicing with death?

Yes, replacement is fairly easy unless you have recalcitrent nuts.See a doctor if you have. No danger unless you try to do it while the engine is running. But seriously you need to find the problem otherwise its chucking money in the cut. Buy a new/refurbed alternator, nope. Buy a new battery, nope. Put a new belt on, nope. Before you know it the thick end of £200 has gone, in Lunnen, £400.

5 minutes ago, ianali said:

Ignoring some of the above amusing replies you would probably be best to get help on this problem. It's not likely to be a hugely expensive fix but it could get out of hand if you start trying to self fix.

Ian.

Thanks. I was just thinking this myself

1 hour ago, hackenbush said:

I searched forum under 'battery not charging' and didn't seem to get any answers that fitted my problem although I'm not the brightest sparkplug when it comes to these things

Don't worry... I often do a search and dont find the answer. A lot depends on the search terms used and the order of the threads found. You can read the first five or ten, not find the answer, and get fed up.

In addition, if all the answers to all the questions are available with a search, there would be no need for the forum to continue... it could be closed to new stuff, and remain as a resource - but that's not the point :)

Ask away... whatever it is. Some will enjoy answering and trying to help. Others will tell you to do a search :)

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Don't worry... I often do a search and dont find the answer. A lot depends on the search terms used and the order of the threads found. You can read the first five or ten, not find the answer, and get fed up.

In addition, if all the answers to all the questions are available with a search, there would be no need for the forum to continue... it could be closed to new stuff, and remain as a resource - but that's not the point :)

Ask away... whatever it is. Some will enjoy answering and trying to help. Others will tell you to do a search :)

i suddenly don;t feel like such a dummy!