Battery doesn't seem to be charging

hackenbush

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Then either the alternator is faulty or there is a wiring fault. Based on previous posts my bet is on the latter. Have you traced the wire from the lamp to the alternator?

For now, disconnect the split charge relay. 

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

MI agree, probably a short to metal.

I would suggest running a new temporary cable between the warning lamps and alternator but note what Snibs says in other topics. We are all assuming this is a conventional 9 diode alternator (I am not wading through all the posts in case it has been identified).

I've replaced the wires between light and alternator and alternator and relay. I then noticed that the connector on the battery was quite loose, tightened it and it all seems to be working. Could the cable not being attached to battery properly caused it?

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

If you can post a picture of your alternator I can identify it and suggest a test procedure and advise on whether a repair would be economic.

Seems like that offer is redundant!

Thanks. It does seem to be working fine.

it was recommended I but a warning light with a higher wattage. I'm guessing this can be any 12v bulb?