#1  Did you know? Post numbers are once again displayed to the right of each post. 

Canal World

Join us absolutely Free in just two minutes to gain access to all our features. Once registered, you will be able to submit new content and get answers to your all your canal & boating questions all for absolutely Free!

mrsmelly

Another great gone

109 posts in this topic

Goodbye Chuck you were one of the best.

The most distinctive, talented, original, influential miserable old bugger that popular music has ever seen. A peerlessly fluent wordsmith, a distinctive guitarist who launched a thousand [attempts at] riffs by groups around the world, and possibly the only man ever to use the word "omit" in a rock'n'roll song. My life would have been poorer without his music.

R.I.P. Charles Edward Berry.

On 18/03/2017 at 23:18, Athy said:

The most distinctive, talented, original, influential miserable old bugger that popular music has ever seen. A peerlessly fluent wordsmith, a distinctive guitarist who launched a thousand [attempts at] riffs by groups around the world, and possibly the only man ever to use the word "omit" in a rock'n'roll song. My life would have been poorer without his music.

R.I.P. Charles Edward Berry.

Yes RIP Mr Berry. Staggered he has lasted this long in the first place actually.

In terms of exquisite language in songs, starting a song with "I don't believe in an interventionist God" (Nick Cave) trumps "omit" by a couintry mile, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes RIP Mr Berry. Staggered he has lasted this long in the first place actually.

In terms of exquisite language in songs, starting a song with "I don't believe in an interventionist God" (Nick Cave) trumps "omit" by a couintry mile, in my opinion.

That depends which couintry you're in. I bet Nick Cave [who he?] could never have invented "motorvating" and "coolerator" and probably never rode in a "coffee-coloured Cadillac".

Part of Chuck's genius with language was his juxtaposition of correct, formal English and hip talk, as in "If it's a slow song, we'll omit it; If it's a rocker, that'll git it". "You know she wiggle like a glow worm, dance like a spinning top" takes some beating as a vivid bit of imagery too.

I could go on, but you'll be delighted to hear that I shan't. Not tonight anyway.

On 18/03/2017 at 23:29, Athy said:

That depends which couintry you're in. I bet Nick Cave [who he?] could never have invented "motorvating" and "coolerator".

I doubt Mr Cave is into inventing words. But seriously? You never heard of him? I'm truly shocked, you being a music journo.

Now this man was worthy of the title Legend . He inspired so many musicians of later generations and his music lives on .

We had the privilege of seeing him live at the Cliffs Pavilion in Southend in 1995. Aged 68 his energy and passion for music was a joy to watch.

Interestingly when i did a quick Google to check which year we saw him it transpires that he performed again at the same venue in 2009 at the age of 83.

RIP a true legend

Cheers Chuck. I shall ring my ding-a-ling in your honour tonight!

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I doubt Mr Cave is into inventing words. But seriously? You never heard of him? I'm truly shocked, you being a music journo.

I may have vaguely heard of him, then dismissed him as irrelevant.

On 19/03/2017 at 07:31, Athy said:

I may have vaguely heard of him, then dismissed him as irrelevant.

Blimey.

You'll be saying that same about Radiohead next! 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey.

Nick cave with Kylie ........quite a sensual piece..............

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey.

Of course. My only contact with that band was when a reggae band did a cover version of one of their entire albums as 'Radiodread'. The record company's press officer was astounded when I told him that I had never heard of the original album. But then, it can be pleasant to be astounding from time to time.

I tend to listen to (and write about) soul, reggae and blues, with a side order of '60s French pop and The Ventures. So it's hardly surprising that Nick Cave is a stranger to my turntables. Same with, for example, Ralph Vaughan Williams or Albert Ayler - I know the names but couldn't tell you what their greatest hits were. Chuck Berry, on the other hand, has never been a stranger to my turntables over the last five decades.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And after his cringe-making single "My Ding-A-Ling", Chuck Berry became a musical irrelevance for me too, sadly.

It was unfortunate indeed that his biggest-selling record was also his worst. Mercifully, it hasn't been mentioned in any of the tributes I've read or heard - UNTIL NOW. It's all your fault.

Chuck wrote a treasury of great songs from 1955 to 1965 (not by chance was the first decent anthology of his work called 'Golden Decade') and rarely wrote anything decent for the rest of his life. But when he'd got 'Maybellene', 'Memphis Tennessee', 'Sweet Little Sixteen', 'Roll Over Beethoven', 'Little Queenie', 'Johnny B. Goode' and, lest we forget, one of the best-ever Christmas songs, 'Run Rudolph Run', under his belt, he really didn't need to.

On 19/03/2017 at 10:03, Athy said:

It was unfortunate indeed that his biggest-selling record was also his worst. Mercifully, it hasn't been mentioned in any of the tributes I've read or heard - UNTIL NOW. It's all your fault.

You missed post No 8 then!!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You missed post No 8 then!!

Yes and, as the posts are no longer numbered, I'll probably continue to do so.

I saw Chuck on stage only twice, and I'm pleased to say that he didn't ding his ling on either occasion.

On 19/03/2017 at 10:15, Athy said:

Yes and, as the posts are no longer numbered, I'll probably continue to do so.

Yes its a shame post numbers are now missing. They are the only evidence one can produce to refute an allegation that one was the first to mention something, other than saying "read the thread".

There was some discussion as to whether they should be retained. Apparently some people read the forum on mobile phones and they have never appeared on that format (I have no idea why not) so at least we're now standardised.

On 19/03/2017 at 10:25, Athy said:

There was some discussion as to whether they should be retained. Apparently some people read the forum on mobile phones and they have never appeared on that format (I have no idea why not) so at least we're now standardised.

I'm sure there must be other stuff not available on mobiles that can be taken away fro desktop users too, if standardisation across devices is important  to the management.

But as you say, putting them on the mobile interface can't be that difficult.

But then nor is counting the posts, as I have taken to doing when I need to state a post number.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm sure there must be other stuff not available on mobiles that can be taken away fro desktop users too, if standardisation across devices is important  to the management.

But as you say, putting them on the mobile interface can't be that difficult.

But then nor is counting the posts, as I have taken to doing when I need to state a post number.

Up to a point - best of luck finding post no.153 in a long-running thread!

On 19/03/2017 at 10:33, Athy said:

Up to a point - best of luck finding post no.153 in a long-running thread!

It will be post 3 on page 7.

(There are 25 posts to a page, so not that difficult really.)

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are 25 posts to a page.

Not many people know that. I thought that the number of posts per page would depend on the length of the posts.

On 19/03/2017 at 10:50, Athy said:

Not many people know that. I thought that the number of posts per page would depend on the length of the posts.

Nope. Have a check. There are always 25 posts to a page. 

Maybe it could be changed to say, 27 to make life more difficult in the same way that removing post numbers has.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope. Have a check. There are always 25 posts to a page. 

Maybe it could be changed to say, 27 to make life more difficult in the same way that removing post numbers has.

:D

Such suggestions for improving the forum are always welcome.