Engine trouble- lister sr2

Fifp

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. Having a bit of engine trouble. I have a Lister sr2 with a LM-100 gear box.

Went out for a trip a few days ago and things were going fine, about 1 or 2 hours in I shut the engine off while i dropped some family off. Went to start the engine around 5 mins latter and she wouldnt start. She does start after a few mins of trying but after running fine for about a minute the engine shut down. Coming to look at it the next day my dad pointed out there is a significant amount of oil/ diesel in the drip tray. I have since calculated this to be very approximately 42 litres. (9 gallons). Both the gear box oil and the engine oil seems to have the correct amounts though we are unsure if the oil is diluted with diesel.

I have attached images of the engine and the drip tray. Any ideas?

engine.jpg

drip tray.jpg

Not much information here but there is nowt much to go wrong with this engine. Sounds like fuel starvation? Is there a filter in the system? is there a water trap? are they clear?

Have you sufficient diesel in the tank?

Does system need bleeding?

Its probably got an AC mechanical fuel pump under the hot air outlet duct. These are often not thought of when servicing the engine. It needs cleaning out at fuel filter change services. It could be clogged up with sediment. Turn off fuel tap at tank. Remove its top hat screw, remove top hat, pick out the brass filter. Under the filter is the sediment chamber, blow out the muck. Clean the filter in paraffin, white spirit, petrol, refit, refit top hat taking care of the rubber sealing ring. Don't over tighten the screw. Turn on fuel tap. A little bleed might be needed.

• Greenie 3

15 hours ago, bizzard said:

Its probably got an AC mechanical fuel pump under the hot air outlet duct. These are often not thought of when servicing the engine. It needs cleaning out at fuel filter change services. It could be clogged up with sediment. Turn off fuel tap at tank. Remove its top hat screw, remove top hat, pick out the brass filter. Under the filter is the sediment chamber, blow out the muck. Clean the filter in paraffin, white spirit, petrol, refit, refit top hat taking care of the rubber sealing ring. Don't over tighten the screw. Turn on fuel tap. A little bleed might be needed.

With this clear explanation of what-and how to do, the OP should be able to cure his problem.

I'm often reading your diagnoses specially of Listers, and it seems that there aren't any secrets for you with one of these, you've been, and are, a very useful helper to many.

Peter.

My I just add - please do not remove the rubber ring from the lift pump lid when you take it off. They tended to swell and became impossible to put back in.

I believe it was caused by the sulphur in the fuel and that now they MIGHT be giving up the sulphur and shrinking back to the original size but i would not bank on that.

Hello again. 

It was water with oil floating on top. After skimming the oil off there wasn't much oil at all, about a dog bowl full. 

As for the type of engine. I have only recently acquired the boat and the previous owner told me it was an sr2. To add to this the plate on the engine has the engine number 7295sr225m, which based off a bit of research is a number for an sr2. However the plate is on the air vent (you can see the plate in the first photo at the top of the thread). And of coarse the air vent is removable. And the engines are very similar.

Thanks for all your replys and that is as far as I have got so far.