renovation

steve 24

Featured Posts

NEW TO BOATING CAN YOU HELP

i have recently bought a 40 ft boat which has turned into quiet a project ! lucky for me i can rely on all you experts to help at the moment

i am waiting to get a small amount of welding done before it is re blacked .

one of my problems is i want to fit t & g 4 inch wide cladding to the bottom half of the inside cabin area but i am not sure how to fix it in place .

i was going to use gripfast silicone but not sure if that is the right thing to do .

also i am going to paint the top half of the boat in rylards top coat after i use rylards undercoat the boat has already been put into 

what i think is a grey primer will there be a reaction between the primer and rylards or will it be ok or will i need to use something to wipe it down before i apply the paint.

thankyou

24 minutes ago, steve 24 said:

i was going to use Gripfast...

Personally I wouldn't use anything that would require me to wreck the boards if I ever needed access behind them. 

Lots of ways to fix t&g - clips that hold the boards invisibly, secret nailing through the tongue, a batten along the floor and a screw in a cup at the top...

Tony

T&G wouldn't be many people's choice these days, especially up to the gunnels, I suspect most would choose plywood which apart from anything else would be easier to fit.   Is there some particular reason why you want to fit T&G?   I'd agree use glue sparingly, far too many boats are fitted out with no thought given to how dismantle the interior should the need arise.  

As regards the paint, for a start I would make that your absolute priority.  How many times do you see a guy working away feverishly on the inside of a boat whilst the grey primed cabin is rusting away nicely. It's going to be a lot harder to deal with eventually if you put it off now.  I'm not an expert but I can't see why anything would react adversely with grey primer.  I'd give it an undercoat and a top coat for now and that should buy you time to get on with the inside.  Follow Rylards instructions on surface preparation.

After just 25 years our T&G  hasn't yet begun to warp. We have polystyrene sheets for insulation. Our boat builder told us the secret is to avoid pushing the tongues too far into the grooves so that there is room for each board to expand and contract freely.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Our boat builder told us the secret is to avoid pushing the tongues too far into the grooves so that there is room for each board to expand and contract freely.

This is fine if it has a fairly neutral finish, and the gaps that exist when it is at its most contracted don't look noticeably different to the rest of the boards.

However I have seen boats where the T&G has been painted on the main surfaces, but as the tongues become exposed they are not.  Frankly that tends to look bloody awful!

Quite a few years ago my local pub had a tart-up done by the brewery. They had a pile of t&g to go around the top of the bar and some cans of dark brown stain. I said to the landlord "I hope they stain that before they put it up". He told me that he was sure they knew what they were doing as they do it for a living. Three months later he had lovely narrow pale stripes down all his dark stained t&g. 

I used to love the stuff in the 70's and 80's but always stained and varnished it before fitting it. 

Two years ago i fitted the entire cabin of my boat with T&G below the gunnells / gunwhales / gunwales ( the spelling police are everywhere) . I love it , old fashioned or not . Its " boaty " to me . I want to live in a boat not a 6 ft wide tube shaped apartment . 

A ballache to fit tho & it took 3 months part time to do . Stained , 2 coats of satin varnish front & back and then fitted on top of the existing ply . All put up with brass screws and cups ... even more old fashioned. If i need to take it down its a doddle. If i say so myself & self praise is no praise in my book it does look good as i got obsessive about about it being done right . 

Very please with it and tho it has expanded a bit theres no dreaded pale bits of tongue exposed as it was all stained etc before going up .