Foxton from Above

pig

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

On the assumption there are laws of the road, a unilateral decision to break them (eg. go faster) surely requires every other road user sticking to all the laws to enable you to go at your speed in a safe manner.

If there are any other road users, which where I drive there often aren't. And not all the laws, just the ones that discourage a collision. So a driver not having insurance or an MOT or licence, who is speeding, is driving with excess alcohol, doesn't necessarily impinge on an ability for me to exceed the speed limit safely. The driver who is fully compliant with the law except forgetting to drive on the left, or who carries out an emergency stop in front of me whilst clutching for the binoculars having seen a lesser spotted sparrow in the hedgerow, well maybe not - these being typical hazards around where I drive!

But this wasn't really my point, which was that if you are going to break the law, it is a good idea to know which laws you are breaking and to what extent, and what the likely penalty would be. The cliché "ignorance of the law is no excuse" applies.

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Never mind yer drones, get one of these: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/this-is-the-flying-car-backed-by-googles-co-founder/ar-BBAjtGh?OCID=ansmsnnews11

"The Flyer basically looks like a giant drone, with the driver sitting on top. It falls under the ultralight category, according to Federal Aviation Administration regulations. However, ners won'tow need a pilot's license to operate one."

According to the Kitty Hawk site, the machine is 'safe, tested and legal to operate in the US', as long as it is flown in 'uncongested areas.'

Google co-founder Larry Page's mysterious flying cars will be available to buy by the end of this year. Kitty Hawk, pictured here, is an electrical aircraft that resembles a flying jet ski

:)

I don't think any confirmation of what The Federal Aviation Administration regulations think regarding whether or not owners will require a pilot licence to operate matters.  So far as I know they have little jurisdiction over here.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

If there are any other road users, which where I drive there often aren't. And not all the laws, just the ones that discourage a collision. So a driver not having insurance or an MOT or licence, who is speeding, is driving with excess alcohol, doesn't necessarily impinge on an ability for me to exceed the speed limit safely. The driver who is fully compliant with the law except forgetting to drive on the left, or who carries out an emergency stop in front of me whilst clutching for the binoculars having seen a lesser spotted sparrow in the hedgerow, well maybe not - these being typical hazards around where I drive!

But this wasn't really my point, which was that if you are going to break the law, it is a good idea to know which laws you are breaking and to what extent, and what the likely penalty would be. The cliché "ignorance of the law is no excuse" applies.

And for those who know the law, I add a cynical view, they ask themselves -  will I be involved in an accident, will I get caught, will I be charged, will I be found guilty - and will I be punished...and if 'no' to each question - an invitation then go ahead and break the law.

• Greenie 1