I want a new engine installed on my boat

BoatNoob

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

is this a spoof?

you still haven't even identified the engine type.

I could respond by saying 'how long is a piece of string'.  :banghead:

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Have you actually told us what engine it is?

So that would still be a "no" then ?

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I can't help noticing their close resemblance to RCR. I wonder if, by any chance, they are related?

If that's who you mean, we've been members for about 10 years and never regretted it.

You may have missed the recent comments by the RCR MD Stephanie Horton about issues she claims they are having being asked to cover many of the boats in London.

Of course there are two sides to every story, and maybe it is the boats that are the problem, as she says, but I can't see many London boaters now being too keen on her remarks, and wanting to sign up.

Perhaps that is exactly why she made those remarks! :lol:

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, BoatNoob said:

The baterries are new (from december) and I meant RCR. I have talked to other boaters and I hear plenty of negative stories. Is is worth having a membership with them?

December is 3 months ago - if you don't look after your batteries PROPERLY you can kill them in a couple of weeks.

That is why you need to learn what to do, how to do it, amend your systems to suit and implement what you have now learnt.

As an example,we changed our engine for a 42hp Isuzu with a PRM 150 gearbox. My son did the welding and we both did the fitting.Hired forklift from the boatyard. We have been very pleased with the engine, BUT the cost then was just under £6,000 even fitting it ourselves, That was 10 years ago so prices will not have gone down. Suggest you take advice given on this thread,unless you are really determined to re engine. Bear in mind that fitting a new engine will not increase the value of the boat by the same amount.

16 minutes ago, BoatNoob said:

The baterries are new (from december) and I meant RCR. I have talked to other boaters and I hear plenty of negative stories. Is is worth having a membership with them?

Before you bother with taking up a subscription with RCR, do their training courses. They will save you a fortune. See also http://www.tb-training.co.uk

54 minutes ago, BoatNoob said:

The baterries are new (from december) 

Like I said in an earlier post, you can kill new batteries in just a few weeks if you abuse them. You need to learn how to charge them. Every single day. 

What make and model of engine do you have?

A new one the same will be the cheapest option. probably in the order of £5-7k all done

You'd be better off employing a competent technician to fix your existing engine fault. Put a LOT of effort into establishing their competence before letting any candidate anywhere near your boat. You already know ehy!

A new engine won't won't make any difference to your dead battery problem, nor if the 'engine fault' turns out to be a gearbox or fuel supply fault.

Dear Boatnoob

You keep being asked to tell us what engine you have and so far you have not. This is not idle curiosity, we need to know so we can give better advice. If you want advice would it not be better to try to help rather than hiding things and risk getting up peoples noses?

You see some engines have hidden "traps" for dirt and suchlike that many modern engineers do not appear to know about. Mitsubishi based engines may have a little filter in the end of the electric fuel lift pump. BMC, Perkins  & older Listers etc. haver strainers hidden in the top of their lift pumps and I know from experience at least one so called engineer in London did not clean  it when doing a  service.

A well build boat should also have an additional filter like thing between the fuel tank and engine lift pump and these can be missed because not all boats have them.

I agree that at present this sounds more like a fuel/filter problem. I also agree that it sounds as if your domestic battery bank is faulty but why that is I can not say without the results of diagnostic tests.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I also agree that it sounds as if your domestic battery bank is faulty but why that is I can not say without the results of diagnostic tests.

You could take a pretty good educated guess though, from...

When I lose power and turn the engine on, i have full power on the boat. I turn off the engine, I lose all  of it again. I switch off all systems for a while and when I switch on I have full power again.

Most boats in London have knackered (Tm) engines. It means you can contact cart and say I have a knackered engine . They understand this and let you stay for years. Then when you want to sell the boat you ring up rcr and say fix it they state actually we are a breakdown company not an engine rebuild service, and you broke down some years ago....

Most boats in London have knackered (Tm) engines. It means you can contact cart and say I have a knackered engine . They understand this and let you stay for years. Then when you want to sell the boat you ring up rcr and say fix it they state actually we are a breakdown company not an engine rebuild service, and you broke down some years ago....

6 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I'm a previous thread, the engine was identified as a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi. Again with no help from the OP. I must say, I find threads like these highly frustrating...

So do I. I get the impression that its becoming far more common for questioners to expect the rest of us to remember details from posts they made in the past. If the above is correct then that little pump filter is a contender.

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

You could take a pretty good educated guess though, from...

I agree but to be really helpful we need to explain to the OP why that is. Its probably straight forward lack of charging because the OP never got round to it but it could also be faulty charge splitting, faulty alternator, faulty wiring and so on. The charging MIGHT be OK but he has a permanent discharge. I would not want him to buy more batteries only to find the real problem was something else, hence diagnostic tests. However the reluctance to reply about the engine rather suggests that even if tests were suggested it would be ignored.

19 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

You've either been very unlucky in your choice of engineer or there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine.

Any engineer, or knowledgeable amateur could quickly identify and eliminate the faults suggested above.  

I notice that you are based in London and that good engineers are few and far between.  The excellent one I use, for example, won't come into London to do work.

Thats coz you have to employ a 5 year old to get round your engine room!

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So do I. I get the impression that its becoming far more common for questioners to expect the rest of us to remember details from posts they made in the past. If the above is correct then that little pump filter is a contender.

What the OP has wrong with his engine, I had the same problem with my 3 cylinder Mitsubishi. Solved by replacing "That little pump filter"

35 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I'm a previous thread, the engine was identified as a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi.

Ahh, then as others have said it'll be the little filter on the back of the pump. 

Those pumps are usually mounted vertically with the filter underneath. If so, the pump has to be dismounted to get at it, possibly undoing the pipes if they're not flexible. The filter is under a bayonet fitting cap with a rubber seal. Be ready to catch the spring and ball valve.

On 19/03/2017 at 08:44, WotEver said:

Ahh, then as others have said it'll be the little filter on the back of the pump. 

In which case if the OP replaces the whole engine the fault WILL be corrected, and he will feel he made a good decision.

So yes BoatNoob, the board is arriving at the same conclusion as you, a new engine will probably fix this.

(Can I have the old one please?)

while you're about it, if your electrics give you any trouble I will happily come and remove your existing system, leaving it ready for the new stuff.

...................  MtB - you can have the engine bits but I got in first on the electrics.

Edited by Murflynn

On 19/03/2017 at 11:10, Murflynn said:

while you're about it, if your electrics give you any trouble I will happily come and remove your existing system, leaving it ready for the new stuff.

...................  MtB - you can have the engine bits but I got in first on the electrics.

May I suggest you leave the batteries behind...

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case if the OP replaces the whole engine the fault WILL be corrected, and he will feel he made a good decision.

So yes BoatNoob, the board is arriving at the same conclusion as you, a new engine will probably fix this.

(Can I have the old one please?)

Not sure what your plan is here but suspect you think you could use a little 3 cylinder engine as a sort of starter motor for the Scandia?

................Dave

On 19/03/2017 at 11:19, dmr said:

Not sure what your plan is here but suspect you think you could use a little 3 cylinder engine as a sort of starter motor for the Scandia?

................Dave

No I was planning to replace the little filter then sell it for a couple of grand on here....

On 19/03/2017 at 12:22, Murflynn said:

they're probably not knackered, just need a swipe of vaseline on the terminals.

Well no I suppose not. 

Given the OP's painstaking and analytical approach to engine fault tracing, I'm sure those batteries will have been charged and managed superbly all their life...