Canal World

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leo No2

A Tale of Two Canals?

4 posts in this topic

Earlier this week I noticed an article on Narrowboatworld about the Basingstoke Canal - I am always interested in anything to do with the Basingstoke having lived beside it for 30 years, been on their 'Board of Directors' for more years than I care to remember and lead a group of 23 boats up Deepcut during the bitterly cold Easter of 2013 which effectively resulted in the canal being reopened after a period of 5 or 6 years of inactivity, especially in Deepcut.

The Narrowboatworld article 'Woking wants CaRT to take over canal' is here.

I sent a link to colleagues still involved with the Basingstoke; they weren't impressed and directed me to an article on the GetSurrey website which, in my opinion, gives a much more positive and well rounded view of things - the article 'Woking canal-side area to be rejuvenated with 'suspension bridge' and boat basin' is here.

I just wonder why Narrowboatworld finds it necessary to always (well nearly always I think) take a glass half empty view rather than a glass (at least) half full view. I have noticed that approach before but never so obviously in a case I knew just a little about.

NBW could be talking about a different canal.

The good news is that the Basingstoke Canal Society is doing all it can to safeguard the future of the Basingstoke in a time when County Council monies are in short supply and well done to Fiona Shipp and her team for doing such sterling work to keep the canal open - it's well worth a visit.

Edited by Leo No2

One of their reporters has gone "floating" to another site but the editorial approach has hardly changed.

Its always a race to the bottom from that site. I never think to visit it so depressing is its editorial slant.

I think they are time served readers of the Daily Fail and carry over their journalistic mores to NBW. Perhaps?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By silverlode
      Hello,

Totally new to boating and looking for a permanent (non residential) mooring on the Bridgewater Canal (preferably close to Manchester) but can't find any information. Have been unable to get a response from bridgewatercanal@peel.co.uk and wondered what everyone else's experience was? Is it usual to have trouble gaining info about this sort of thing? Have seen mwebb@peel.co.uk suggested many times, but he has now retired. Finding it very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, it would be very gratefully received!

Amelia

• By Reddwarf
      I'm looking at buying a 12ft widebeam hopefully next year. what i'm struggling to find is a map that shows the parts of the network that will take a 12ft boat I've been referring to this map http://newandusedboat.co.uk/canal-network-map.php

But if I'm reading the Collins Nicholson guide right then what is stated as broad on the map still has 10ft wide locks. Is there a canal network map that shows what parts a 12ft wide beam will fit on.

Also while I've been looking for possible marinas a map showing the marinas actual on the canals network map would also seem useful otherwise i find you have to keep trying to switch between canal map and google maps and try and match the two up then go to collins guide to check lock widths or other restrictions.

Any help appreciated
    • By Richard T
      From the same blog as the Ashby canal photos - these are of the Chesterfield at Misterton taken in 1962. There are references to earlier photos - methinks I need to join the forum so I can search for them!!
      http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-9th-september/page-308
      More photos from same blog here
      http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-9th-september/page-291
      I like the one of West Stockwith basin frozen over.
    • By FirstRateFirstMate
      I was wondering what music themes are common amongest us canal folk. I myself love 80's music, even if i was born almost 20 years after the 80's started! Folk music is also really good

What about you?
    • By dave83
      Hey everyone,

I've browsed for a while as a guest and have finally bought my first boat. A small Viking narrow beam.

Its on the aire & calder at the moment.

How is the LL for small narrow cruisers? Do many GRP boats use it? What is progress like on the LL with traffic etc? I've checked with canalplan for timings etc but wondered how much the time of year etc had an effect.

Lots of questions...

Thanks everyone