Staffordshire canal basin brought back to life

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

NEW TRIP BOAT AND HETTY’S CAFÉ AT FROGHALL BASIN, STAFFORDSHIRE

A former canal wharf at Froghall Basin on the Caldon Canal in Staffordshire is being brought back to life, thanks to a partnership between the Canal & River Trust charity and a local entrepreneur.

Sarah Hirst and Peter Moore from the Trust, which cares for 2,000 miles of the nation’s canals and rivers, have worked hard to upgrade the area and find a new tenant for the beautiful former corn store warehouse.

Café owner Emma Atkinson saw the potential of converting the attractive heritage building into a café and gift shop, with holiday accommodation for rent upstairs. She has also arranged for a new trip boat to operate from the wharf, making the whole area into an attractive visitor destination.

It’s a real family affair - Emma has named the café after her 92-year-old grandmother Hetty and her mother will be running the gift shop.

Emma explained: “My nan Hetty is my recipe for success so I have named the tea shop after her. I found out we had secured the lease about 15 months ago and since then we have worked hard with the Trust, architects and surveyors to get the building ready to be open in time for Easter this year.

“My vision was to be sympathetic to the original building but at the same time incorporate stylish, modern furniture to give the interior a warm, cosy feeling for visitors.

“Froghall Wharf was once a thriving hive of industry. You can still see evidence of the lime kilns and a railway track. I have long admired the place and it is wonderful to be instrumental in making it into a buzzing tourist destination.”

Sarah Hirst, property surveyor with the Canal & River Trust, said: “Emma has done a fantastic job of creating a modern, attractive café, shop and holiday accommodation. The transformation has been incredible. The Trust works hard to make the most of all our unusual canalside buildings. Our aim is to celebrate our rich waterway heritage by supporting sensitive restorations and finding new 21st century uses for these wonderful structures. 

“We have worked closely with her every step of the project, including creating a new pathway to the building. This was very much a collaborative project and we wish her the best of luck with her new business when it opens at Easter.”

Hetty’s Tea Shop is due to be open six days a week, Tuesday – Sunday, and the trip boat will operate on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

For media requests please contact:

Lynn Pegler on 07783 686246. Email Lynn.pegler@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Froghall Wharf Hetty's Tea Shop exterior with Sarah Emma Peter low res.jpg

Edited by Ray T

That's good news. It's a cracking little wharf for those of us who can get through the tunnel - I spent a couple of days down there a year or two and it seems it was usually totally deserted, and the building heading for disrepair.  I was planning on going up there in a few weeks time so shall report back idc...

We are planning on heading up the Caldon next week, not sure we will fit through the tunnel but will walk round and take a look. We stayed in the farm cottages alongside the canal their a few years back and it was all very quiet then.

It's a lovely spot. We never got there on Iona (couldn't get through the tunnel) but we've driven there a few times. It did seem very quiet for such a lovely mooring - maybe this will give it a boost.

Heritage railway just over the road worth a visit.

Edited by Ange

56 minutes ago, b0atman said:

whats the moorings like how many and time restriction

Assuming that you can get through the tunnel there are moorings above the lock and in the basin below the lock, the Basin in 2012:

Tim

basin.jpg

This is great news.  We went through the tunnel a few years ago but it was something of an anti climax - having something on the other side makes it a more complete experience.  The upper Caldon really is hugely underrated, it's scenic, full of interest, and no traffic noise whatsoever. Though it's only a few miles from Stoke it's very much far from the madding crowd with features such as the Churnet Valley Railway and the Black Lion adding to the atmosphere.    

49 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

This is great news.  We went through the tunnel a few years ago but it was something of an anti climax - having something on the other side makes it a more complete experience.  The upper Caldon really is hugely underrated, it's scenic, full of interest, and no traffic noise whatsoever. Though it's only a few miles from Stoke it's very much far from the madding crowd with features such as the Churnet Valley Railway and the Black Lion adding to the atmosphere.    

I agree, one of my favourite canals on the system.

It's a pity my boat would  it through through he tunnel though. I have to walk over the tunnel top of see Froghall basin.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to try going through the tunnel as the gauge dragged on the handrails, cratch, mushroom vents and pidgeon box. We walked over to take a look at the café and it doesn't open until Easter.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Decided not to try going through the tunnel as the gauge dragged on the handrails, cratch, mushroom vents and pidgeon box. We walked over to take a look at the café and it doesn't open until Easter.

Don't worry Rob. When I take Vulpes there I will invite you along so you can tick it off in your book of "places wot I 'ave been".

You will probably be able to lie on the roof.

JP

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Probably a good idea if thay much fouls the gauge, but in my experience the actual tunnel profile is quite a lot higher than the gauge. You can lift the gauge to pass below but you may well lose some paint off the corners of the handrails.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends of our's, Olly and Jeff are going to be running a trip boat from Frogall Wharf, through the tunnel to Consall Forge, in conjunction with the cafe, from mid April 2017 onwards. From what I understand, they will be running the trip boat at weekends, and Wednesdays in high season (school holidays),