Hot water system ...

Featured Posts

Steve-H71

If you like working by your hands, you can buy small elecric household water heater like ~20 liters volume and throw away the electric heater. Instead of him you need to install a copper spiral from the plumbing store or air conditioner store. The spiral you need connect to engine cooling system. It will be safe!

Sorry for my language, english is not my native.

6 hours ago, Steve-H71 said:

I guess I can look for a used calorifier

You will be buying 'trouble'.

Why is it for sale ?

Boats would very rarely have a calorifier removed.

Boat are even less likely to be 'scrapped / stripped'.

As noted above, copper calorifiers are notorious for splitting /corroding and leaking (particularly around the big thread where the immersion heater enters) which is why many boats these days use Stainless Steel ones (boat sized calorifiers - not domestic ones) as per the one in my boat - shown in post number 16

Edit to add link to supplier :

http://www.bainbridgemarine.com/Variants.aspx?Item=PRD-101017

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 hours ago, ianali said:

Ah, didn't realise was a house topic, sorry.

It started as a boat topic so it isn't a house topic......for some reason MtB seems to be grumpy....like most plumbers who will have you believe it's a dark art......and get grumpy when people realise it's not tricky at all 

Any fool can do his own plumbing?  Lots do and find out that they have installed something that doesn't work properly or is a BSS failure.  Professional plumbers are paid for experience and familiarity with the regs.  Even more so when they have to be accredited.

On 18/03/2017 at 10:55, frangar said:

It started as a boat topic so it isn't a house topic......for some reason MtB seems to be grumpy....like most plumbers who will have you believe it's a dark art......and get grumpy when people realise it's not tricky at all 

That's not why I'm grumpy. Plumbing is easy. Very easy indeed, in fact.

I get grumpy when people barge in with irrelevant comment that shows they haven't been following the thread. I find this a poor show, bad internet etiquette/manners.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Rather than stump up £500 on a splitty copper calorifier, my suggestion is to spend half the money on a nice reliable D61 Morco instantaneous water heater.

Dead easy to fit, Franger says so!

On 17/03/2017 at 12:28, Steve-H71 said:

The other question I have is calorifiers, damn they are hexpensivo. I am like most on a tight budget. I understand why you can't really use a domestic cylinder apart from size due to the pressure and the modern ss domestic tanks are no better price wise. Now I've done a fair bit of tinkering and fetteling in my time making chimeras from gas cylinders as well as inventing versions of things I can't afford to fit my needs etc. I also understand the process of purging the cylinders of gas and fumes etc. 

Could I. .. drill a hole the side/top of the gas cylinder for an emersion heater fitting and then 6 x normal 15mm holes and then have a long narrow pair of coils that will fit in the 2.5'' hole and connect to 'proper fittings' on the 15mm holes and then the cold in and hot out as normal and then use an emersion heater blanking plate to close the cylinder. I would obviously fit a pressure relief valve on the hot out feed so no issues with over pressurisation. Obviously the gas cylinder is rated at a far higher pressure rating and a 12kg cylinder would be a perfect size. (The cylinder is from a company that no longer exists so no ownership issues).

Do you guys that know see any other issues with this idea, I would obviously insulate the cylinder and while open I would coat the inside of the cylinder with a suitable paint/coating.

What capacity in litres are you looking for, what's the min and max you can go to?

Edited by smileypete

I have a 50 / 60 litre upright calorifier you can buy at a sensible price from me if you want one . Twin coil , no immersion boss . The lack of immersion boss is the reason i removed it . It is in perfect working condition . PM me if you want more details and a price . My price will not be a mickey - take . Tank is currently located in Essex . Up to you . 

cheers

Edited by chubby

4 hours ago, mross said:

Any fool can do his own plumbing?  Lots do and find out that they have installed something that doesn't work properly or is a BSS failure.  Professional plumbers are paid for experience and familiarity with the regs.  Even more so when they have to be accredited.

I'm afraid I've fixed too many bodges from people purporting to be professional plumbers both on land and boats to agree with this....just because you have a bit of paper doesn't mean you are good at your job I'm afraid. 

On 18/03/2017 at 22:32, frangar said:

I'm afraid I've fixed too many bodges from people purporting to be professional plumbers both on land and boats to agree with this....just because you have a bit of paper doesn't mean you are good at your job I'm afraid. 

Seconded.

9 hours ago, frangar said:

So very true. The house I currently live in was owned by a "professional " plumber. In the first year I lived here I fixed more leaks than in the 30 years at my previous house.

He had also recently fitted a new boiler with the motorised valves for the heating and hot water plumbed in series, so that you couldn't have hot water unless the heating was also on...

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.

On 19/03/2017 at 08:23, cuthound said:

So very true. The house I currently live in was owned by a "professional " plumber. In the first year I lived here I fixed more leaks than in the 30 years at my previous house.

He had also recently fitted a new boiler with the motorised valves for the heating and hot water plumbed in series, so that you couldn't have hot water unless the heating was also on...

Yes it's quite shocking what I see sometimes. I blame the teachers who steer the 'academically less able ' students into the building industry, still believing it is a manual skill so the plank stupid will make good plumbers.

However these days a small amount of brain power is required to do the job correctly, as your tale illustrates. Trouble is though, anyone capable of doing plumbing design correctly (as opposed to just nailing the pipes together), tends to gravitate to better things.