HNBC Auction of Canal Antiques 25/3/17

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Who is going to the HNBC Auction on 25th March at Weston Village Hall? If you are you must fill in your bidder registration form (see link) in advance. There are some wonderful historic items (see link for catalogue).

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/auction

Edited by Black Ibis

2 hours ago, Black Ibis said:

Who is going to the HNBC Auction on 25th March at Weston Village Hall? If you are you must fill in your bidder registration form (see link) in advance. There are some wonderful historic items (see link for catalogue).

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/auction

Is this a little miss-leading ? Surely only those Members / Guests wishing to bid need to fill in the 'bidder registration form', and anybody else can just turn up.

I am not sure there are many 'wonderful historic items' amongst this auction, but there are one or two items of interest.

Unfortunately duty calls elsewhere for me, so I will not be there :captain:

Have spent too much on both boats recently to risk spending huge sums on any interesting artefacts.

A shame, because there is quite a lot there that is of interest, but I suspect all will achieve prices beyond what I would sensibly pay!

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Have spent too much on both boats recently to risk spending huge sums on any interesting artefacts.

A shame, because there is quite a lot there that is of interest, but I suspect all will achieve prices beyond what I would sensibly pay!

This is my problem i sit and wait for items at a sensable cost rather than pay what i have to to get it.

It took me years to get sone items at a sensable price, but some items ive photoed some items and studied old items and just made my own to the old design and ways even my chimneys are solid riveted unlike the modern ones you can buy.

But as you say ill prob come out empty handed as ill only pay a reasonable price.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its considered perfectly valid to make a pre-auction offer to the auctioneer. If its high enough s/he might accept in which case the item is withdrawn from the auction.

Yes you are correct hence why ive not got a butty!

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its considered perfectly valid to make a pre-auction offer to the auctioneer. If its high enough s/he might accept in which case the item is withdrawn from the auction.

True, but not in this case. HNBC hasn't, as far as I'm aware, accepted any pre auction offers.

I believe the vendors have withdrawn a couple of items before the publication of the catalogue, but the very vast majority are still going to be available.

Last time some of the cans and hand bowls went for a tidy sum, even some of the newer ones. Can't go this time and there is no facility for bidding remotely if you can not collect. Which is a shame as I would have bid on a couple of small items.

36 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I've just been speaking to someone who was there. Some chains realised £80, most items went for reasonable sums, whereas a couple of windlasses made around £200 each! 'Kinell!!!!

Dave

And they may well be the ones that only fit historic spindle sizes, and can't now usefully be used..... mind you at a couple of hundred quid, I'd not be brave enough to use one in anger!

Try people who have lots of fmc boats. 

I think it was good but as expected most iems had a high price just due to who or what they were. If you saw most of them on ebay at some of the prices you would never bid.

On 29/03/2017 at 20:38, Chris-B said:

Well it wasn't me  as I took a kicking on the one bit I wanted

You prolly don't _really_ want one. A fancer hooter that is.

I've had to devise a way of fitting mine to stop the casual tea leaf and it's definately not funny when some 'erberts jump on your boat to wind it when you are in the cabin.  :)

Edited by mark99

• 2 weeks later...