Winter Moorings, how long before CaRT stop them?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

I went for a walk past the winter moorings at Rickmansworth yesterday and was absolutely disgusted by the amount of rubbish dumped into the ditch that runs adjacent to the towpath. I would estimate that around a third of the boats moored there over the winter have just used the ditch as a convenient rubbish dump. The boaters rubbish point is at most a 10 min walk from the furthest moored boat.

I really can't understand the mentality of these people who dump all sorts of crap and think it is someone else's problem to deal with. I wonder if CaRT actually incorporate a clean up charge into the winter mooring fees? If they don't I wonder how much longer they will provide winter moorings if people treat them like this? Just another example of people, who through their own selfish ideals, ruin it for everyone else.

There was even a Tescos shopping trolley in the bushes, and that is bound to end up in the cut; I just hope that the only boat it damages belongs to the selfish sod who left it there in the first place; I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

end of rant

11 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I would be interesting if CRT charged a deposit which is lost if a clean-up is required.

That unfortunately wouldn't work, these people would dump the rubbish in the ditch one or two boats up in order to get out of paying and the innocent boaters would be asked to pay.

16 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

take photos and send to crt, maybe they will go visit and check rubbish for evidence.

the trolley, you can call Tesco and report it, save it going in the canal, 0800 505555

I will probably take the trolley back myself; the dog will need a walk later.

i'm pretty sure that the rubbish will be cleaned up soon, I think the Rickmansworth canal festival is in a few weeks time

I don't know the place and therefore this may not be at all relevant, however are you absolutely sure its boater rubbish?   In East London the boaters get the rough end of the accusations and whilst it is often them, many of the land residents are actually to blame as they are too lazy to walk to their own rubbish facilities etc. 

1 minute ago, widebeamboy said:

I don't know the place and therefore this may not be at all relevant, however are you absolutely sure its boater rubbish?   In East London the boaters get the rough end of the accusations and whilst it is often them, many of the land residents are actually to blame as they are too lazy to walk to their own rubbish facilities etc. 

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

It is fly tipping. Report it to the local council. They will probsbly ask CRT for records of who was moored where. CRT should be able to produce records at least every 14 days.

I am positive it is boaters rubbish. The moorings run alongside a lake, the towpath is a raised bank then there is a ditch and then a chain link fence, the other side of the fence is a pathway around the lakes that has no vehicle access. It is quite obvious that the rubbish has been dumped from the towpath side. 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I am positive it is boaters rubbish. The moorings run alongside a lake, the towpath is a raised bank then there is a ditch and then a chain link fence, the other side of the fence is a pathway around the lakes that has no vehicle access. It is quite obvious that the rubbish has been dumped from the towpath side. 

Timothy Evans...............Andrew Evans.............Stephen Downing............................

• Greenie 1

So because the leaves are off the trees and hedges and rubbish from x amount of months/years is visible, you think CRT should stop Winter Moorings......???

There is rubbish hidden in hedges and down banks everywhere, CRT stated last year that there were about 3.5 trillion public visits to the canals every year, go through Leicester by Abbey Park , no roads, park fenced off, and the towpath and canal  is a disgrace, ditto Nuneaton, ditto loads of other places....not boater rubbish in the main.

If you have some specific boater related evidence, report them, otherwise, don't try to get a valuable boater resource called Winter Moorings taken away with circumstancial evidence. 

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

you would be amazed of what boaters get up too. concerning rubbish .if its not boaters rubbish ..i would bet half of it is  .and like you bewilderd i just can not get my head around why people do this.

Very few of the winter mooring spots are fully subscribed.

It is perfectly allowed for any other boat to moor on a length that is nominally marked out as winter moorings, provided you move if someone with a legitimate permit needs the space.

I don't know the situation at Ricky, but it could easily be as I describe.

Therefore assuming the waste has to be left by someone on a WM permit, rather than another visiting boater is not a reliable assumption to make, is it?

Edited by alan_fincher
Typo
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, haza said:

you would be amazed of what boaters get up too. concerning rubbish .if its not boaters rubbish ..i would bet half of it is  .and like you bewilderd i just can not get my head around why people do this.

Absolute tosh comment.

I'm a boater,  and when I leave,  you can't tell I've been there , I also know this applies to virtually all the boaters I know.

For the first 4 hours of Storm Doris passage through that part of England,  the gale force winds were blowing directly across the canal from the Tesco and houses side.

• Greenie 1

tosh ..comment  and that applies to virtually all the boaters you know ...what about the ones you dont know ...like you i am a boater and have been for 15 years or more ...and unlike you seen things you have not ...maybe ...

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its true that some ( a very few ) boaters leave rubbish about. Its just as  true that if I were to walk round any housing estate anywhere in the uk I could find rubbish dumped by house dwellers but in fairness pointing a finger at any one group of people simply doesnt work. I will print a quick tale of what happened to me the first year I moved onboard ( 1989 ) ish it will have been. I had been working on the back of my boat using my new expensive generater and it was on the cruiser deck when I finished using it. The missus and I decided it was a nice day so popped out for an hour to parents and joined friends in the pub 30 miles from boat, it was a fab sunny sunday and we stayed all afternoon and then all evening etc etc and stopped overnight at parents. We returned next day again lovely weather to boatyard moorings ( Thorne ) and as we drove close to boat I said to missus yes just as I thought the gennies been nicked its not on back of boat and I saw the tall skinny disheveled boater with dreadlocks walking along and said to her it will be that toerag. The said " toerag " saw us parking up and walked over and said " aye mate you left your gennie out all day yesterday so I put it in the back of your boat and closed the door so it didnt get nicked. Thanks mate says I.............................................................." Here endeth the lesson "

Did you leave a huge manhole in Hillmorton though??

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

So because the leaves are off the trees and hedges and rubbish from x amount of months/years is visible, you think CRT should stop Winter Moorings......???

There is rubbish hidden in hedges and down banks everywhere, CRT stated last year that there were about 3.5 trillion public visits to the canals every year, go through Leicester by Abbey Park , no roads, park fenced off, and the towpath and canal  is a disgrace, ditto Nuneaton, ditto loads of other places....not boater rubbish in the main.

If you have some specific boater related evidence, report them, otherwise, don't try to get a valuable boater resource called Winter Moorings taken away with circumstancial evidence. 

I came through here a couple of months ago when all the leaves were down and it didn't look anything like it does now. Several boats have moved on now that the winter season is coming to a close and it looks like they left behind what the didn't want to take with them. This isn't an area near a road, you would need to carry the rubbish along the towpath from the nearest bridge to dump it. It would be far easier to dump it near the bridge than walk a stretch of tow path to dump it. So although the evidence is curcumstacial is does point towards boater rubbish as the most likley cause.

where do you read in any of my posts that I think winter moorings should be taken away?

i simply posed a question regarding the disgusting behaviour of a few boaters and what CaRT would think about it. The clue is in the question mark at the end of the thread title. There are unthinking scumbags every where (whether on boats or not) unfortunately for the rest of us they seem to be multiplying exponentially.

I just wonder how long CaRT would put up with having to clear large amounts of rubbish from Winter Moorings before they decide it's not worth issuing them, or as stated previously do they allow for the clear up in the mooring fee?

I am in no way suggesting that all boaters have the same poor attitude towards littering and rubbish dumping but after spending the last couple of months in west London I'm just glad the Watford locks are open again so I can get the hell out of here. And I'm not suggesting winter moorings should be done away with I have simply highlighted a problem as I see it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Very few of the winter mooring spots are fully subscribed.

It is perfectly allowed for any other boat to moor on a length that is nominally marked out as winter moorings, provided you move if someone with a legitimate permit needs the space.

I don't know the situation at Ricky, but it could easily be as I describe.

Therefore assuming the waste has to be left by someone on a WM permit, rather than another visiting boater is not a reliable assumption to make, is it?

Quite true it isn't necessarily people who have paid for a mooring who have moored there. I don't know if CaRT have records of how many were sold for this area, it is however where most of the rubbish is and there is very little, by comparison, the other side of the bridge on the visitors moorings

I can't comment re winter moorers @ Ricky but there are some build ups of obvious boaters crap there as it's my local patch. (eg boat fitout shoved in the ditch).

One of the elder residents around there was disgusted by a particular individual and was quiety ferrying her crap to the dump via his mobility waggon. Most of the boaters there imo are very fine and very friendly/responsible and it's a good community. It's the odd one who may or not be taking a winter mooring.

Edited by mark99

so i am a boater  .and i dont leave any rubbish ...yer ok ...all sort of people leave rubbish in places it should not be left .i dont know about manholes tho ..lol .but i am sure someone is to blame lol