Mooring on the River Thames near Staines

Jane Jackson

Featured Posts

You're basically right ... most Thames moorings are for 24 hours (usually free), and then £5 per day up to three days maximum. The mooring at Staines Bridge is owned by the local council and is free but has a limit of 24 hours. Same for the mooring by the Town Hall. Do you wish to moor and leave your boat for 7 days? That obviously brings risk to your boat (and to other people's boats if yours was to break away), as the Thames is a powerful river with flows prone to rapid and significant increase - particularly at this time of year.

Your best and safest bet is to short-term moor in a marina. Penton Hook Marina is two miles from Staines. Visitor charges are £16.70 per night up to 10 metres and £22.25 per night if longer. 

BTW, Staines is actually Staines-upon-Thames now. Proper posh. 

1 hour ago, Jane Jackson said:

Does anyone know where you can moor safely on the River Thames for 7 days near Staines? All the information I can find suggests that you can not stay for longer than 24 hours.

You could try Timms Boatyard or Harris's,both have Moorings and may be able to fit you in temporarily.

10 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Or you could try the yard just upstream from Bell Weir lock - they have quite a few NBs. Bell Weir boats I think they are called.  An easy walk across Runneymede etc to Egham station

Bell Weir Boats Ltd

Yard Mead, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0AA, UK

Richard Llewelyn

Telephone:

07958 792 122

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No, I don't miss that miserable c@^t!

I was always relieved when he wasn't there.

Hmm - I thought that would be your response!! I made it a personal challenge to make him more 'friendly' - took several years....

He has to put up with all sorts of boaters and has seen major changes over the years and his father before him. Surprisingly he's quite well disposed to canal boat users.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Well, you're obviously a better man than me! I've got no time for him at all.

Well, I go on the old principle of "nil carborundum "- don't let the ****s grind you down!

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Well it must be you lot because we had no problem with Steve the lock keeper and used to go for a pint with him

Umm - I don't think Bell Weir lockie is 'Steve' - that's Shepperton - since EA removed all the names, I forget which is which. Anyway a helluva lot have retired this year, so I'll have to start again. Treasure them and be polite (not obsequious) 'cos they're a disappearing breed....