Hot & cold bar shower

embis

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

There is more a case for washing hands BEFORE. For example, when having just been chopping some chillis

and with that thought every man reading this is now sitting cross legged

You should wash your hands after using the toilet because the flush handle and indeed all surfaces are covered in minute particles of faeces.  And however pristine you think your penis is, other people would prefer it if you washed your hands after urinating.

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, why does one need to wash hands after using the loo? I do so if I've got "stuff" on them. If I haven't (which is normally the case with #1s) then what exactly is one supposed to be washing off? There is more a case for washing hands BEFORE. For example, when having just been chopping some chillis / using chemicals.

Overheard as I was leaving the 'Gents' during an 'exercise'.

Army Officer: "At Sandhurst we were taught to wash our hands after visiting the bathroom."

RAF Officer: "At Cranwell we were taught not to piss on our hands."

3 hours ago, mross said:

You should wash your hands after using the toilet because the flush handle and indeed all surfaces are covered in minute particles of faeces.  And however pristine you think your penis is, other people would prefer it if you washed your hands after urinating.

You are presuming that being in contact with "germs" is an inherently bad thing. I dispute that, in fact being in a sterile environment has been shown (or at least suggested) to increase the likelihood of leukaemia, food allergies, asthma  etc, presumably because one's immune system doesn't get challenged. Is it co-incidence that the dramatic rise in the use of surface biocidal cleaners correlates with a dramatic rise in children develop food allergies and asthma?

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Free nibbles , bowls of''Shellfish, 'Cockles placed on pub bars are swimmin in urine at the end of the session.

It all adds to the flavour. 

We're too obsessed with cleanliness - so many folk totally sucked in by Unilever's marketing. 

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Is it co-incidence that the dramatic rise in the use of surface biocidal cleaners correlates with a dramatic rise in children develop food allergies and asthma?

You could have used concomitant in that sentence. It's a good word, concomitant ;)

Edited by WotEver
Made the smiley work

On 18/03/2017 at 10:14, nicknorman said:

You are presuming that being in contact with "germs" is an inherently bad thing. I dispute that, in fact being in a sterile environment has been shown (or at least suggested) to increase the likelihood of leukaemia, food allergies, asthma  etc, presumably because one's immune system doesn't get challenged. Is it co-incidence that the dramatic rise in the use of surface biocidal cleaners correlates with a dramatic rise in children develop food allergies and asthma?

Nick, you are just being mischievous here. Yes it may well be a coincidence.

As you well know, a statistical correlation does not prove a causal relationship. Next you'll be saying because a dog is an animal with four legs, an animal with four legs will be a dog.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I would make the observation that there must be  - from the number of adverts I see - a lot of diarrhoea 'medicine' being sold.

And an awful lot of people with a tense, nervous headache, and indigestion, and thrush...

Norovirus is second only to the common cold in the number of cases.  It is spread by the faecal-oral route.  Theoretically, it can be spread by water systems but I have never heard of that on any cruise ship.  Norovirus on cruise ships has to be reported unlike hotels so cruise ships get a bad press.  We were constantly advising crew and passengers not to use public toilets because it's well known that a lot of people don't wash their hands or don't wash their hands properly, after using the toilet.  You can do it properly and pick up contamination as you open the bathroom door or press a lift button or use a handrail.  

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nick, you are just being mischievous here. Yes it may well be a coincidence.

As you well know, a statistical correlation does not prove a causal relationship. Next you'll be saying because a dog is an animal with four legs, an animal with four legs will be a dog.

No, absolutely not being mischievous. Please do your own research. Like here http://center4research.org/child-teen-health/colds-flu-and-pain/can-cleanliness-increase-the-risk-of-allergies-and-asthma/

Edited by nicknorman

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.. hot and cold are the right way around, I have ordered a mixer bar without thermostat since that seems to be the most straightforward solution and I will report back when I have installed that.

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Interesting, especially the paragraph that said, "These research results don’t mean that exposure to germs is always good.  Germs spread disease, and regular hand-washing and other good hygiene habits will help prevent the spread of those germs. Nonetheless, the data suggest that using too many antibacterials may contribute to asthma and allergies, and that it can be beneficial to avoid over-exposure to products containing BPA and triclosan."

Edited by mross

14 minutes ago, mross said:

Interesting, especially the paragraph that said, "These research results don’t mean that exposure to germs is always good.  Germs spread disease, and regular hand-washing and other good hygiene habits will help prevent the spread of those germs. Nonetheless, the data suggest that using too many antibacterials may contribute to asthma and allergies, and that it can be beneficial to avoid over-exposure to products containing BPA and triclosan."

Yes, of course I'm not suggesting that hands never need to be washed. But like so many things, there is a balance to be struck. When we moor the boat for lunch, I have yet to master the art of not getting the ropes wet and so I usually wash my hands before putting food into my mouth with my fingers. If I have a cold or any gastric troubles I will be more fastidious since these things are usually passed on more by physical contact than aerosol.

But if I do a #1 I don't bother - no one has died yet in my 60 years. So now you know - if we ever meet, avoid shaking hands! And we certainly don't have any biocidal cleaners on the boat or in the house, even though there is an entire supermarket aisle dedicated to them!

On 3/17/2017 at 23:50, nicknorman said:

How will he learn if you remove all dangers from his path? Ok I accept that it is trickier for the grandparent to teach recognition of danger / self preservation if the parents don't, my point is somewhat a generalisation on the nature of modern parenting.

Anyway, why does one need to wash hands after using the loo? I do so if I've got "stuff" on them. If I haven't (which is normally the case with #1s) then what exactly is one supposed to be washing off? There is more a case for washing hands BEFORE. For example, when having just been chopping some chillis / using chemicals.

As to washing hands before going to the loo!! Yes indeed I remember vividly my oppo going for a wee onboard our warship in the early seventies and he had some cs gas on his hands...............now did he yelp :lol:

There does need to be a sensible balance.  It's the very young who need a certain exposure to germs to set them up for life.  But in the good old days where we played outside all day infant mortality was higher.  Nick, if we ever meet, I will shake your hand with pleasure.  that article NN posted put some of the blame on Tricsolan.  Maybe a new medical discovery will reverse this increase in Asthma.  I've asked a few medical professionals if it's necessary to scrub toilets with bleach and they all seem to agree it's a waste of time unless you have toddlers who might lick the bowl!

Just now, mross said:

I meant, do you wash your hands after peeing?

I thought that was the question, &, I thought I had 'obliquely' answered the question.

A man entered a restaurant and sat at the only open table. As he sat down, he knocked the spoon off the table with his elbow. A nearby waiter reached into his shirt pocket, pulled out a clean spoon, and set it on the table. The diner was impressed. "Do all the waiters here carry spoons in their pockets?"

The waiter replied, "Yes. Ever since an Efficiency Expert visited our restaurant... He determined that 17.8% of our diners knock the spoon off the table. By carrying clean spoons with us, we save trips to the kitchen."

The diner ate his meal. As he was paying the waiter, he commented, "Forgive the intrusion, but do you know that you have a string hanging from your fly?"

The waiter replied, "Yes, we all do. Seems that the same Efficiency Expert determined that we spend to much time washing our hands after using the men's room. So, the other end of that string is tied to my penis. When I need to go, I simply pull the string, do my thing, and then return to work. Having never touched myself, there really is no need to wash my hands. Saves a lot of time."

"Wait a minute," said the diner, "how do you get your penis back in your pants?"

"Well, I don't know about the other guys, but I use the spoon."

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I gained my 'wings' 40+ years ago, and had the officers serving us Christmas Dinner at RAF Dishforth.

I did my training at Dishforth in January 79...........it was no longer RAF then but we still had the names on the walls of the blocks.

I know this topic is now a few days old but I remembered a problem yesterday regarding hot water flow (admittedly in a house) that occurred years ago in the days of immersion tanks rather than combi boilers. As a result of air building up in a "T" off for draining purposes of the hot water circuit from the immersion tank it created a "air valve" which by its presence restricted the flow.