My shiny new Klaxon.

Chas78

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, dmr said:

Get some black paint on that quickly or some bugger will surely nick it.

Does it make the proper klaxon sound????

..............Dave

I hope not :unsure: what does a Klaxon sound sound like this sounds like a loud low buzz :huh:

25 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

I hope not :unsure: what does a Klaxon sound sound like this sounds like a loud low buzz :huh:

Klaxon was actually a brand of horns, and they made a distinctive sound described as "awooga" or "ah-oo-gah. They used an electric motor (or hand operated button) to rotate a sort of toothed disk against a rivet in a steel diaphragm, and the unique sound is due to the acceleration and deceleration of the motor at the start and end of operation. Mine has a series wound motor which I suspect is done to prolong the acceleration. (opps a bit geeky)

.............Dave

Welcome to the club. If your horn is anything like mine (no smutty jokes please) it will be electro - mechanical. Check its voltage, mine was 6v. I'm afraid the noise may not be what you hoped for, quite a low vibrating buzz, although it can be tuned a little. I tried mounting mine horizontally but that made life awkward when climbing on the fore deck, also water could get in.

RLWP did a couple of mods for me, first he fitted a resistor to allow it to run on 12v he also made a bracket so I could fit it to the deckboard in a vertical configuration.  I was not really happy with the noise so I adapted a conventional horn to fit inside. If you look at the last picture you can see some cutouts in the rim. I used longer bolts and spacers to hold it in position in the horn body. It is done so I can refit the original mechanism to the horn with no damage to the body.

The bracket allows me to take the horn off so it doesn't decide to "walk" when we are away from the boat. 

DSCF3222.JPG

DSCF1389.JPG

DSCF1387.JPG

DSCF1402.JPG

DSCF3223.JPG

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

I think mr Klaxon designed it for his Bicycle,and won the No Bell prize?

Thats the worst gag I've heard for ages.

Have a green thingy!

My Klaxon fell off a free steered vehicle half a mile underneath Yorkshire.

I took it home for safe keeping.

The 12v electric Klaxon on one of my boats makes a quiet noise like a wounded cow. 

The 5 manual Klaxons I have on the other boat each make a loud, lively and enthusiastic Awoogawoogawooga noise until you stop cranking the handle. Or stop yanking the chain in the case of the one off the Ark Royal.