ex FMC Butty Hampton colours and other details

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

It’ll soon be time to have our ex-FMC butty, Hampton, painted after its extensive rebuild.

It was built in 1912 so it’ll be painted in black and white livery. I’ve consulted the Paget-Tomlinson’s Colours of the Cut, but that only shows a side view. I’ve got pictures of most of the extant Braithwaite and Kirk butties but they all show colour variations.  I was wondering if someone could answer the following queries.

1) Are the handrails red (I’ve seen green)?

2) Is the front back cabin bulkhead blue?

3) Is the back bulkhead of the cabin just black and white? (Kildare and Ilkeston have green and black)

4) Did the hatches have decorated cupboard doors?

5) Has anyone got a picture which shows whether there should be a bull’s eye?

6) What does the slide look like?  Colour? Design?

7) Is the lettering on the rear bends white on a red background or is it white on black? I’ve seen both.

8) Does the ellum have just a simple black pattern on white? Or should it be multi-coloured like Ilkestone’s

It may be that there are no definitive answers, but I just thought I’d ask.

IMG_0114.jpg

I understood the back to be green and white ive seen a few like this done reasontly and in one of the books it shows green.

Motors had a bullseye ill have to check but i didnt think the buttys did.

By hatches do you mear the ones at the back behind the cabin? If so i understood them to be plane.

Hand rails red ive not seen any green off the top of my head but the very early ones with black and white may have been green to match the back. Only reason i can think of being green

Others ill have to look up in my stacks of photos.

14 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

I understood the back to be green and white ive seen a few like this done reasontly and in one of the books it shows green.

Motors had a bullseye ill have to check but i didnt think the buttys did.

By hatches do you mear the ones at the back behind the cabin? If so i understood them to be plane.

Hand rails red ive not seen any green off the top of my head but the very early ones with black and white may have been green to match the back. Only reason i can think of being green

Others ill have to look up in my stacks of photos.

I would love to know where you have seen colour photos of these boat in black and white livery? As far as I know very few colour pictures exist of FMC craft and those that do are all in the later livery. Colour photography was rare until well into the 1940,s.

The slides certainly are not plain as that is obvious in many pictures. It is pointless trying to interpret from greyscale pictures, colours show differently in different light, all that can be gained is letter style, lining and the general layout. Whatever the boat is painted in it will be wrong to someone's eye but with no proof available it will be the best that can be achieved.

35 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Whatever the boat is painted in it will be wrong to someone's eye but with no proof available it will be the best that can be achieved.

Thanks for that Laurence.  I just wanted to make sure that there was not picture somewhere which showed a definitive colour scheme.