Places to Eat and Drink in Scotland

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

We are now starting to plan our summer trip to Scotland in earnest. It will be here before we know what has happened.

So we would appreciate some recommendations for places to eat and drink along the way.

We will be dropped in the water at Inverness Marina where we plan to spend a couple of nights getting the boat sorted out and getting a home shopping delivery.

The plan is to then spend 7 nights on the Caledonian Canal, the first night probably being at Seaport Marina so still in Inverness, before having a steady trot along the canal. Our last night on the canal we plan to spend at the bottom of Neptunes Stair so that we have an easy run the next morning to get to Corpach Sea Lock.

Our second week in Scotland will be on the West Coast. This part of the trip will be more weather and sea condition dependent so we don't plan to venture too far. So far the list of places we would like to visit is Glen Coe, Kentallen, Loch Creran, Tobermory, Seil and Oban. We will probably have a couple of nights in both Tobermory and Oban and then we get picked up from just outside Oban to be brought back to Lincoln.

I know that we have some Scots on this forum so recommendations for some nice places to moor, eat and drink in the area would be gratefully received.

If you have time and the weather is OK, I think a trip round Mull would be of interest. Ie from Tobermoray, go left and round the top and down the other side then back to Oban. We spend a weekend in Mull last autumn and I loved the scenery etc especially when we went in search of Sea eagles when we virtually drove down the west side and along the bottom . I know this is nothing to do with eating places but thought I would chip in anyway. There is an interesting eating place on an island off the west coast where there is a ferry and lots of pontoon moorings. It was at Ulva ferry. The ferry wasn't running when we were there but the island looked interesting and I have heard since that the restauarant is good. If you go that way, you will pass/be able to stop at Iona. 

haggis 

Thanks for the tips guys.

The coastal part of the trip is going to be dictated by the weather hence why we have not been too ambitious with the plans. If the weather plays ball we will head further afield. 

The trip around Mull takes my fancy. 

2 hours ago, howardang said:

The Mishnish is a must for a pub visit in Tobermorey.

Howard

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

There's not that much on The Caledonian Canal as most of it is in the middle of nowhere and moorings are not that frequent. We enjoyed The Boathouse at Fort Augustus

http://www.lochnessboathouse.co.uk/index.html

it's the non pontoon side below Fort Augustus locks so you have a short walk round to it but the views straight down Loch Ness are amazing!

I seem to remember a sign offering a taxi service from Urquart Harbour to a couple of pubs but we never tried them,

It's a fair walk into Inverness fro the top of the locks but we managed to walk up from Inverness with a weeks worth of luggage in a suitcase so it's quite manageable.

2 hours ago, NickF said:

There's not that much on The Caledonian Canal as most of it is in the middle of nowhere and moorings are not that frequent. We enjoyed The Boathouse at Fort Augustus

it's the non pontoon side below Fort Augustus locks so you have a short walk round to it but the views straight down Loch Ness are amazing!

I seem to remember a sign offering a taxi service from Urquart Harbour to a couple of pubs but we never tried them,

It's a fair walk into Inverness fro the top of the locks but we managed to walk up from Inverness with a weeks worth of luggage in a suitcase so it's quite manageable.

We stopped in Drumnadrochit Harbour, in itself a hike from the village to where we walked, Irt was a few years ago but seem to remember enjoying the Feddlers Elbo  and the Beleva Hotel (Now a brewpub - Loch Ness Brewery), Got a taxi back to the Harbour

Tim

On 3/24/2017 at 23:10, rasputin said:

Dont forget they have some strange laws regarding hours for selling alcohol, so dont try buying a bottle of wine before 10 in a supermarket, i nearly missed a tide once because of this quirk

Thanks for that. We would have just assumed that their hours were the same as ours. :blink:

On 3/24/2017 at 19:14, NickF said:

We plan to do a fair bit of walking as we have 7 days to do the trip one way so we won't be in any rush.

We are being trailed to Inverness Marina and are having a couple of nights there to start the trip off so we will explore Inverness from there. Depending on the weather our first night on the canal may well be spent in Seaport Marina so that would give us three nights to explore Inverness!

On 3/24/2017 at 21:48, Tim Lewis said:

We stopped in Drumnadrochit Harbour, in itself a hike from the village to where we walked, Irt was a few years ago but seem to remember enjoying the Feddlers Elbo  and the Beleva Hotel (Now a brewpub - Loch Ness Brewery), Got a taxi back to the Harbour

Tim

We do intend spending a night in the harbour so we will walk into the village. 

A quick scale on Google Earth seems to suggest it is about a mile and a half from the moorings to the village so not a massive walk. 

If the conditions are calm enough we also plan to anchor off Dores beach and visit the pub there and perhaps BBQ on the beach.

Again depending on the wind direction we want to stop off at Foyers to walk up to the falls and visit the pub there which seems to get decent reviews.

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A quick scale on Google Earth seems to suggest it is about a mile and a half from the moorings to the village so not a massive walk. 

If the conditions are calm enough we also plan to anchor off Dores beach and visit the pub there and perhaps BBQ on the beach.

Again depending on the wind direction we want to stop off at Foyers to walk up to the falls and visit the pub there which seems to get decent reviews.

The Beleva Hotel which we found to be the best place for beer is right at the far end of the village so the best part of two miles. Seem to remember that the Fiddlers in the village centre was the place for Whiskey    http://www.fiddledrum.co.uk/whisky.html

Tim

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's a nice walk up to Foyers, the other good thing about walking is The great Glen Way more or less follows the canal so there is always a good walking route wherever you stop. 

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

The Oakwoood  http://www.spanglefish.com/oakwoodrestaurant/index.asp near Dochaggorch,  5 miles from Invernesss is a quirky vene where we had a good meal in 2016.

This places looks nice thanks. Might have to pop in for lunch.

Not sure we will get as far as Skye though!

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 19:14, NickF said:

We had an excellent meal at the Boathouse & the views were spectacular. I really liked Fort Augustus- even the bow hauling of the boat up & down the locks! 

1 hour ago, Afloat said:

The Puffer Bar and Restaurant, Easdale Island, about 20 miles south of Oban. Interesting island, food was good.

Someone else has suggested this as well. Might have to go and give it a look if the weather is playing ball. 

Visitor mooring seems a little lacking though. They only have the one buoy looking at the community website so I guess we would have to book if we wanted to head this way.

26 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We had an excellent meal at the Boathouse & the views were spectacular. I really liked Fort Augustus- even the bow hauling of the boat up & down the locks! 

That is something we are not looking forward too!

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Someone else has suggested this as well. Might have to go and give it a look if the weather is playing ball. 

Visitor mooring seems a little lacking though. They only have the one buoy looking at the community website so I guess we would have to book if we wanted to head this way.

That is something we are not looking forward too!

If you are near the Crinan Canal, the Crinan Hotel had a good reputation for Seafood and is in a very scenic setting. Here is their web site together with the Mishnish in Tobermory which I mentioned earlier.

http://www.crinanhotel.com/

http://themishnish.co.uk/

Howard

Take a look at the Pierhouse at Port Appin. More of a restaurant than a pub, but in a beautiful setting and on the route from Fort William to Oban.  I think you can moor on the ferry pier, but I'm pretty sure there are mooring buoys as well.