Rochdale canal pubs 2016

IanD

Featured Posts

Any recent recommendations (Ducie Street to Sowerby Bridge)? Is the Masons Arms at Gauxholme still open?

Oh I forgot, moorings nearby would help. Silly me...

Edited by IanD

I've covered the Rochdale in my 2015 and 2016 Pub Cruises.  Unfortunately two of the best pubs have closed - the Puzzle Hall, Sowerby Bridge, and AFAIK the Masons Arms also. The Red Lion at Littleborough is not to be missed.

Edited to correct a link.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

8 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

The Shepherd's Rest in Sowerby Bridge, where the Rochdale joins the Calder & Hebble Navigation, got the top vote on a 300 mile round trip, 30 days and 40 ish pubs, from Stone in Staffordshire in 2015.

James

Yes, that's the best pub in Sowerby Bridge now.

2 hours ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

The Stubbing Wharf is ok...food is good and you

can moor outside...it has a website so's you can look at

the menu.

But Fox & Goose is a better pub now that it has been taken over by the community (IMO)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Mac, I'd read your pub cruise reports, but the rate pubs are closing or changing hands I thought I'd see if anyone had more recent info -- I knew the Puzzle Hall had closed (boo), and possibly the Mason's Arms but there seems to be some uncertainty about this, but thanks for the Red Lion recommendation. I know Stubbings since it's right next to Shire Cruises, the Shepherd's Rest looks like a good bet for our last night. Fox and Goose means the one in Hebden Bridge, I assume?

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Mac, I'd read your pub cruise reports, but the rate pubs are closing or changing hands I thought I'd see if anyone had more recent info -- I knew the Puzzle Hall had closed (boo), and possibly the Mason's Arms but there seems to be some uncertainty about this, but thanks for the Red Lion recommendation. I know Stubbings since it's right next to Shire Cruises, the Shepherd's Rest looks like a good bet for our last night. Fox and Goose means the one in Hebden Bridge, I assume?

The Stubbing Wharf is in Hebden Bridge.  Are you thinking of The Moorings next to Shire Cruisers?

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 09:26, mross said:

What's the Hogs Head Brew House like?  And can you recommend the New Hobbit as a place to stay?

Well I described the Hogs Head as 'Large, dim and noisy'!  I gave it a fair chance when the Puzzle Hall closed, as most of the Puzzle regulars migrated there, but it's no substitute and I couldn't see to read my paper, so the Shepherd's rest is my pub of choice now - the walk up the hill works up a thirst.  Sorry can't help with the Hobbit.  You live quite near, don't you?

It is.  I am moving there shortly.  I've sold my house and am waiting to complete on a place in Barkisland.  I changed my location to see if it would show on the member map - it doesn't.  Anyway, I have been researching pubs etc on Whatpub.com, the CAMRA website.  It's free and you don't have to be a member.

4 hours ago, mross said:

It is.  I am moving there shortly.  I've sold my house and am waiting to complete on a place in Barkisland.  I changed my location to see if it would show on the member map - it doesn't.  Anyway, I have been researching pubs etc on Whatpub.com, the CAMRA website.  It's free and you don't have to be a member.

Yes, that's my pub research site of choice now, supplanting http://www.beerintheevening.com/ which is also good, though.

Are you keeping your boat nearby?

• 5 months later...