Ian Allan Canals book

archie57

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, archie57 said:

There are three copies for sale on Abe Books and one on Amazon

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=H+Newton&tn=Canals&kn=&isbn=

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Did it have every narrow boat on the system listed, so that you can underline each one as you spot them?

:D

I was thinking the same thing, but I doubt it!

As well as my own '60s Ian Allan locospotters' books I have an older one, about 1949 I think, given to me many years ago by a neighbour, and the front covers appear to be the work of the same person. I guess they must have had an in-house illustrator.

3s/6d in 1948 equates to £6.29 in todays prices. My Dad earned £6 per week in 1955.

My Ian Allan British Railways Locomotives combined volume (hardback) cost 10s/6d in 1958 (two Bob a week pocket money was saved up). The thinner paperback ones for regions, diesels & electrics for the same year were 2s/6d each (around 60 pages). So 3/6d in was a lot of money in '48.

Overpriced then - and now.

On 3/14/2017 at 21:15, archie57 said:

My copy has just arrived and I was interested to see that under the list of canals the navigation authority of the nationalised ones is listed as British Railways.

I was under the impression that after nationalisation the canals were run by the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive. Was there a transition period?

Tim

The Docks & Inland Waterways Executive was one of five Executives set up under the British Transport Commission as part of the post-war nationalisation programme. The Railway Executive traded as "British Railways".

I believe that on nationalisation the railway owned canals initially came under the Railway Executive, but were subsequently transferred to DIWE.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Transport_Commission

Edited by David Mack

15 hours ago, archie57 said:

I was talking to an old boatman some years ago who still had a  free travel concession on the railways, dating from this period

And I know a retired railwayman who asked for, and got, a discount on his CRT boat licence. Something to do with working on the railways in 1962?Was that when BWB was formed?