Boat sunk in Marina

dixi188

Featured Posts

I have had the misfortune of having my narrowboat sink less than 48 hours after sailing it from the seller's mooring to my own mooring.

RCR raised it, plugged the hole they found under the engine and left me a new battery with an auto bilge pump.

I've pumped out the oil and water cocktail, put some fresh oil in and pumped that out before putting in more fresh. I've tried with little success to drain the diesel tank with a wet vac.

It will be craned out in the next few days, does anyone have any advice on how I should support it on hard standing to allow a survey and welding to take place please? And any tips on things I need to do would be appreciated too, thank you.

14 minutes ago, C.Mack said:

I have had the misfortune of having my narrowboat sink less than 48 hours after sailing it from the seller's mooring to my own mooring.

RCR raised it, plugged the hole they found under the engine and left me a new battery with an auto bilge pump.

I've pumped out the oil and water cocktail, put some fresh oil in and pumped that out before putting in more fresh. I've tried with little success to drain the diesel tank with a wet vac.

It will be craned out in the next few days, does anyone have any advice on how I should support it on hard standing to allow a survey and welding to take place please? And any tips on things I need to do would be appreciated too, thank you.

You'd be better off starting a new topic for your issue C.Mack. Many people who could possibly offer help or advice won't see it under this old thread. 

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You'd be better off starting a new topic for your issue C.Mack. Many people who could possibly offer help or advice won't see it under this old thread. 

I've reported it with a hope of getting it moved to a better location.

Unless of course this is the boat that sank at FC.

In which case the marina will know what to do regards your questions.

In the meantime I'd be getting the surveyor back in order to explain how he didn't notice it had a hole under the engine.

2 hours ago, C.Mack said:

If the boat sank within 48 hours, the hole must have been pretty big, so why wasn't the boat already sunk when you inspected it, and if not sunk, didn't you notice the bilge full of water and wonder why. 

The only hing I can say about standing the boat on land, is make sure the ground is solid (like house foundations) and the top surface of the support blocks at suitable spacings are perfectly firm in a flat plane and level.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

In the meantime I'd be getting the surveyor back in order to explain how he didn't notice it had a hole under the engine.

Absolutely no responsibility - if it could not be seen without having to bend down then its not covered in the survey - read the small print.

We have to disagree on it being pointless Alan.

When this topic is discussed you always make this point, and I welcome it. I do know of two individuals during my time with canal boats that have successfully taken their surveyor to court and won damages.

However, I'm also sure you know of those who haven't. So far as I'm concerned for the small amount a survey costs I will continue to go that route. I do discuss the T&Cs and what I'm getting for my money plus I always attend a survey to listen, ask questions and look for myself.

I'm not a time served engineer and would never buy anything of a value over a certain amount or significance to me without someone who knows more than me having a shufty first.

I know enough about engines and transmission drive to make up my own mind, but so far as operating an ultrasound or confirming a hull is straight and within width I couldn't.

And neither have I the required letters after my name to issue a Safety Certificate or a bit of paper to keep the Insurers happy enough to supply me what I need to licence it.

Come up with a better science and I for one would be happy to turn my back on the fairies and their written stories that you claim are worthless.

:D

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

When this topic is discussed you always make this point

Yes I do.

It is a small attempt to redress the 'balance' of the oft quoted comments about how a surveyor WILL save you money, and WILL find the faults on the boat - people should be aware that there are other possible outcomes.

When I bought my current boat the seller proudly produced a survey and certificate. I walked into the boat went that's a fail that's a fail that's a fail. Arranged a survey. New surveyor was aware of first and said I'll look at  itafter my survey. I walked round boat in dock and noted obvious thin bits ( pitted) . Went and looked at first survey.. Hmmm.  ( 4 th boat purchase 3 historic)  following discussion with surveyor and his opinion we compared surveys.

some similarity. However where the original surveyor said it was ok the new survey said it was bad and reverse. That's when it dawned. The first surveyor didn't know left from right or port from starboard. ( he was good on paint finishes) We had 36 feet of new footings as part of the sale. Until the steel fell out on the dock floor everyone apart from the second surveyor said the boat was fine. Then we saw the 2mm bits...

surveyors vary and get it wrong, certificates are invalid the next time something is altered buyer beware

On 26/04/2017 at 18:08, roland elsdon said:

When I bought my current boat the seller proudly produced a survey and certificate. I walked into the boat went that's a fail that's a fail that's a fail. Arranged a survey. New surveyor was aware of first and said I'll look at  itafter my survey. I walked round boat in dock and noted obvious thin bits ( pitted) . Went and looked at first survey.. Hmmm.  ( 4 th boat purchase 3 historic)  following discussion with surveyor and his opinion we compared surveys.

some similarity. However where the original surveyor said it was ok the new survey said it was bad and reverse. That's when it dawned. The first surveyor didn't know left from right or port from starboard. ( he was good on paint finishes) We had 36 feet of new footings as part of the sale. Until the steel fell out on the dock floor everyone apart from the second surveyor said the boat was fine. Then we saw the 2mm bits...

surveyors vary and get it wrong, certificates are invalid the next time something is altered buyer beware

What is this survey 'certificate' about which you write, please?

On 26/04/2017 at 19:35, WotEver said:

My guess would be the Boat Safety variety. 

But BSS tickets make no mention of hull thickness and bear no relation to surveys or condition reports.

You're probably right though, given the mention at the end about alterations invalidating the certificates.

Do people really think a BSS certificate is evidence of the boat being in good sound structural condition?!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But BSS tickets make no mention of hull thickness and bear no relation to surveys or condition reports.

But the quote was 'survey and certificate'. Two things. Together supposedly meaning the boat was both sound and well put together. 

Correct failed on cerificate in multiple fashion independant of survey. Done by different people. The certificate on a boat is valid at the time issued. 5 mins later anything goes including the owner sticking his petrol generator full of fuel  back in the engine room or the well deck or under the boards next to the engine