White Vinegar useful tips.

Drayke

Featured Posts

Found on the www. Have not tried these, just thought it maybe of some use.

White vinegar

Dissolve Rust. Soak old tools and corroded nuts and bolts in vinegar for a few days. Rinse them with water and watch rust and scale disappear.

Wipe off Wax or Polish Build-up. On wood surfaces or furniture, use a mix of equal parts vinegar
and water to remove build-up, wiping with the grain of the wood. For leather furniture, make a weaker solution—2 parts water to 1 part vinegar—and rub the material using a circular motion.

Banish Decals and Stickers. Dab vinegar onto stubborn price tags and stickers affixed to glass, plastic, or wood. Scrape the surface clean, and then rub the area with more vinegar to remove any sticky residue.

Remove Mineral Deposits from Showerheads. Pour ½ cup of warm vinegar into a re-sealable plastic bag. Drop in the showerhead, making sure the holes are submerged, and seal the bag. Let it sit for 1 hour. Rinse and wipe clean, then reattach.

Revive Old Paintbrushes. Soak gunked-up nylon brushes in hot vinegar for up to 30 minutes to remove paint and soften the bristles. Afterward, wash them in hot, soapy water, brushing off paint as needed, then rinse and let dry—good as new.

Peel off Wallpaper. Using a sponge or spray bottle, saturate wallpaper with a solution of equal parts vinegar and water. Let stand for several minutes, then start scraping. The paper should come off easily.

Test Your Soil's pH. Place a handful of dirt into a small container and sprinkle vinegar on it.
If it fizzes, the soil is alkaline; adjust the pH with an acid amendment.

Keep Paint from Peeling. Before painting galvanized metal or concrete, wipe down the object or surface with vinegar, using a sponge or lint-free cloth. This little
trick will help your paint job last longer.

Whiten Grouting. For stubborn stains on ceramic-tile surfaces, scrub grouts with a stiff-bristled toothbrush dipped in vinegar and watch it whiten before your eyes.

CAUTION: Vinegar can harm marble and other natural stone surfaces, so avoid using on these materials. Test a small, unobtrusive area first if you want to be extra careful.

Edited by F DRAYKE

53 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

Found on the www. Have not tried these, just thought it maybe of some use.

White wine vinegar

Dissolve Rust. Soak old tools and corroded nuts and bolts in vinegar for a few days. Rinse them with water and watch rust and scale disappear.

Wipe off Wax or Polish Build-up. On wood surfaces or furniture, use a mix of equal parts vinegar
and water to remove build-up, wiping with the grain of the wood. For leather furniture, make a weaker solution—2 parts water to 1 part vinegar—and rub the material using a circular motion.

Banish Decals and Stickers. Dab vinegar onto stubborn price tags and stickers affixed to glass, plastic, or wood. Scrape the surface clean, and then rub the area with more vinegar to remove any sticky residue.

Remove Mineral Deposits from Showerheads. Pour ½ cup of warm vinegar into a re-sealable plastic bag. Drop in the showerhead, making sure the holes are submerged, and seal the bag. Let it sit for 1 hour. Rinse and wipe clean, then reattach.

Revive Old Paintbrushes. Soak gunked-up nylon brushes in hot vinegar for up to 30 minutes to remove paint and soften the bristles. Afterward, wash them in hot, soapy water, brushing off paint as needed, then rinse and let dry—good as new.

Peel off Wallpaper. Using a sponge or spray bottle, saturate wallpaper with a solution of equal parts vinegar and water. Let stand for several minutes, then start scraping. The paper should come off easily.

Test Your Soil's pH. Place a handful of dirt into a small container and sprinkle vinegar on it.
If it fizzes, the soil is alkaline; adjust the pH with an acid amendment.

Keep Paint from Peeling. Before painting galvanized metal or concrete, wipe down the object or surface with vinegar, using a sponge or lint-free cloth. This little
trick will help your paint job last longer.

Whiten Grouting. For stubborn stains on ceramic-tile surfaces, scrub grouts with a stiff-bristled toothbrush dipped in vinegar and watch it whiten before your eyes.

CAUTION: Vinegar can harm marble and other natural stone surfaces, so avoid using on these materials. Test a small, unobtrusive area first if you want to be extra careful.

It doesn't have to be white wine vinegar. It is much cheaper, and just as effective, to use ordinary white vinegar. It's a great general household cleaner.

Howard

Edited by howardang

24 minutes ago, howardang said:

It doesn't have to be white wine vinegar. It is much cheaper, and just as effective, to use ordinary white vinegar. It's a great general household.

Howard

Yes made a mistake there so have edited. Thanks

I often remove labels from glass, for my home made jam, wine etc., and up to now have first soaked in hot water which sometimes works fully but often only lets me scrape the label off exposing the sticky residue below. Then I go on to cheap cooking oil, which I smear on thinly then leave for hours to soak in. That doesn't always work, so maybe I'll give white vinegar a go some time.

21 hours ago, Peter X said:

I often remove labels from glass, for my home made jam, wine etc., and up to now have first soaked in hot water which sometimes works fully but often only lets me scrape the label off exposing the sticky residue below. Then I go on to cheap cooking oil, which I smear on thinly then leave for hours to soak in. That doesn't always work, so maybe I'll give white vinegar a go some time.

For sticky labels lighter fuel is your friend.

Hydrogen peroxide is another magic product:

removes mould from showers just paint it on and leave overnight, rinse away in the morning

mix with sodium bicarbonate and use to remove the burnt on layer on baking trays, oven shelves, saucepans, you get the picture.

other non boaty boat cleaning products  , (therefore not expensive)

Stardrops all round cleaner - about £1 for 750ml

Bar keepers friend power cream .about  £2 ...... good for brass , but also cleans slight rust stains, good on limescale 

Peak polish 

Viro-sol  less than a tenner for 5 litres ; used diluted with water as a degreaser /bilge cleaner      http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/2013/uk/product_detail.asp?prod_code='326'&range_sub='30'

Edited by MartynG

Not vinegar but cheap white toothpaste, only the white stuff, drop of hand soap to lubercate it water makes a great cream cleaner to clean the bath, taps etc. 

No horrible cleaning smells that cut your throat.

And another i was told by a local boat yard shop when buying a few bit. We was talking about polish and what to use use and the answer was don't waste your money baby oil, rub and wipe off to the sides off the boat, not roof or bits you walk on. Tried a small patch 4 weeks ago and it still shines now. Thats longer than any wax I've tried, and ten times more easy to apply.

On 14/03/2017 at 22:32, Dyertribe said:

Hydrogen peroxide is another magic product:

removes mould from showers just paint it on and leave overnight, rinse away in the morning

mix with sodium bicarbonate and use to remove the burnt on layer on baking trays, oven shelves, saucepans, you get the picture.

Ah  now that sounds like a useful product! Where does it come from? Chemist or supermarket?

Is there a trade name to look for or will there be a pack with "hydrogen peroxide" on the label?

You buy hydrogen peroxide from your local chemist (well I do). A small chemist such as ours has to order it in. I guess larger ones (and maybe Boots?) would hold stock. 

You just ask for hydrogen peroxide 10%. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah  now that sounds like a useful product! Where does it come from? Chemist or supermarket?

Is there a trade name to look for or will there be a pack with "hydrogen peroxide" on the label?

Cheap as chips. Find it on Fleabay and delivered free.